Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Discomfort after Gallbladder removal

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Discomfort after Gallbladder removal

Hello, I had my gallbladder removed in December last year (2003).  It was removed using the laproscopic (sp?) technique.  Everything for the most part is better, although I do get the urgent diahreah that many people seem to report.  That doesn't concern me so much as some times I get a bloated feeling in my right side near the location of the surgery, and other times there's this slight burning sensation.  On very rare ocassion I will get a pretty sharp cramp, but that is fairly rare.  I'd say the bloated feeling is about once a week, and the burning is about once every 2 weeks.  The diahrea is about daily.  Is this due to my diet?  Or should I be concerned and seek my physicians advice?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I've read a lot of horror stories about problems after laproscopic, but not sure how accurate they are.  Just want to make sure I'm not sitting here damaging my liver and don't want to waste my doctor's time if I'm just acting like a hypochondriac, but I am concerned.

Thanks in advance.

-Jim Hare
You may want to consider a repeat ultrasound to ensure there isn't any biliary leak which may be causing your symptoms.  Another consideration would be Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction.  This disease causes biliary-type pain in those who have had their gallbladder removed.  A fatty meal ultrasound study, or a Sphincter of Oddi manometry (the gold standard test) can be considered if this is suspected.

If the gallbladder has been ruled out as a cause, you may want to consider more routine causes of the symptoms.  This would include dyspepsia or irritable bowel syndrome.  You may want to consider an upper endoscopy (which would evaluate the various causes of dyspepsia), and an H Pylori test (looking for a bacteria that is associated with inflammation and ulcers).

If all the tests are negative, then consideration should be made for irritable bowel syndrome.  

These options can be discussed with your gastroenterologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
Has anyone experienced shoulder discomfort after having gallbladder sugery? I had mine removed at the end of March and now I am experiencing discomfort under the right shoulder blade.

Its not a bad pain like I was having with the attacks but it feels more like a stitch or a slight tightness in that area.

If anyone can help it would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks

Karen
I can relate to problems after having th gallbladder removed. I had my GB out in 2000.  Recovery was OK.  But later started having trouble w/ pain in the liver area. My theory is that the sphincter of Oddi is trying to regulate bile flow as if the gallbladder was still there.  This makes bile back up in the liver  and stagnate.  I feel pain, I'm fatigued, tired, irritable, sleep disrupted.  Liver enzymes are normal though.  

My diet is very careful, veggies salads tuna chicken olive oil fruits and nuts but no refined sugars. My lipids are perfect: TG 94, LDL 53, HDL 39.  I run 1-2 miles a day, I've lost 59 lbs.  Still pain and fatigue.  I'm taking cholestyramine.

I don't know what would correct my problems.