Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Discomfort after eating seafood

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Discomfort after eating seafood
I have noticed in the past 3 months that after I eat shrimp or crayfish (usually at a chinese restaurant)I wake up in the middle of the night with pain right under the middle of my rib cage, and it radiates to the right side. Am I allergic to shrimp now? I am a drinker and smoker.
Many people have this problem, the seafood you eat is mostly shellfish with is high in sodium. Also if it has sauce on it it may react badly. I have found I can no longer eat shelfish for the same reasons you have. If you want try a light fish, like halibut if this reacts badly stear away from seafood in general, unless you can deal with the discomfort.