Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Discomfort while eating

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Discomfort while eating

I have been suffering discomfort while eating for a few months now. It is not at every meal, mainly lunchtime, and only with solids. I find that I have to eat very slowly, and chew each mouthful for ages, otherwise it feels as if food is virtually stuck in my chest. It is like food reflux, but there is no acid at all, and I am fine as soon as I finish eating. It feels like food is clogging my tube and is not sliding through efficiently.
At it worst, it causes quite bad pain, and I can feel bile coming back up along with food, but it is not acidic.

I would appreciate any advice...I haven't seen a doctor about it.
Dear Sam,
Food sticking in the esophagus is called dysphagia.  One cause for this problem is a mechanical narrowing (e.g. stricture).  The esophageal diameter is reduced so that only small chunks of food can pass.  people with this problem must chew the food well so that the swallows are small enough to pass the narrowing.  A second possible cause for dysphagia is a dysmotility (impairment of the normal contractions of th eesophagus that push food from mouth to stomach).  Those with dysmotility usually complain of difficulty swallowing both solids and liquids.

I suggest that you make an appoinment to see a gastroenterologist.  Evaluation of the esophagus, by endoscopy or barium x-ray, is warranted.
Sam:

It sounds like itcould be two things. For one is could be that there is aproblem with the esophagus not working right to get food down into your stomach. Doctors can test the motility of your esophagus. You could have delayed gastric emptying in your stomach where your stomach doesn't empty fast enough causing bile, food, etc.. to back up.

Without knowing more of your history, I would suggest seeing a gastroenterologist, and let them help you. It could be one of many things.

Carol
Sam, it could be you're having trouble digesting, whereby digestive enzymes may be of benefit. If you get some good ones, I've seen them work wonderfully well - 1 capsule turned dry oatmeal into liquid.

I have some excellent info. in a nutritional book, so if you'd like you can e-mail me directly and I may be able to offer more specific recommendations on some herbal supplements.

Regards,

Wendell      < ***@**** >
I had the Nissen Fundo...surgery one week ago.  Solid foods are still completely out as major gas and cramping result immediate afterwards.  So, blendering of all foods is necessary still.  I am concerened about the fact that 1) The portion of liquidfied food consumed is so small before feeling full and also the fact that I have woken on several occassions coughing like I did pre-surgery days.  Will this get better?
I had similar problems swallowing and discovered that wheat was the problem.  For some reason, when I ate wheat (or anything containing wheat or wheat by-product) I would have constriction and spasms of my esophageal muscles that would make swallowing at times completely impossible.  Spent a trial 3 weeks with no wheat, and after only 3 days off the wheat the symptoms I'd had my whole life went away.  I have since decided to completely avoid all wheat and wheat products.  My advice is to get tested for allergies - not only the skin scratch tests which look for immediate hypersensativity reactions mediated by IgE, but also a blood test that looks at delayed hypersensativity reactions mediated by IgG.  I hope this is helpful!  Take care,

-Razzle
I also have problems from time to time of it hurting when I swallow or drink anything. I've also have been diagnosed with PKD (Polycystic kidney disease) could this be another symtom of this disease?
A related discussion, Oesophageal discomfort when eating chicken and bread was started.