Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Do i need to get my gallbladder removed

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Do i need to get my gallbladder removed

On Wednesday, I had the HIDA scan, it came back at 30% ejection rate which was on the boder line, my doctore referred me to the surgeon since durning the test when they gave me the medicine to make my gall bladder contract, it made me very sick.  Does this tell me that I need to get my gall bladder removed.  

Antha
it depends on whether or not you have other symptoms, such as pain or nausea and whether or not you have gallstones. My daughter had both pain and nausea, but no stones...her 1st HIDA came back at 32%..a 2nd one 6 weeks later was at 8%. she had her GB out Dec 27th. The tough decision comes because if you have stones, you know WHY your GB is inflamed. When you do NOT have stones, it is harder to pinpoint WHY your GB has gone bad..& if taking it out will fix the problem. If you read this board..you will find many that it did not take away the pain long term. Do your homework....ask alot of questions..only you can decide if surgery is worth the risk...and there are some...
Just my 2 cents....I am a 25 year old female, in good health and of average weight.  I found out I had gallstones in November and had my GB out on December 27 (approx. 3 weeks ago).  My symptoms were nausea, right shoulder pain, vomiting, and belching non-stop.  The surgeon said mine was inflamed.  It was the best decision I have ever made in regards to my health.  I feel so much better.  All of my symptoms are gone. If it is your GB, I would highly recomend getting it removed.  From what I understand, the success rate is pretty high (of those feeling better after).  Hope this helps!
Anne
my daughter's GB was removed the 27th also & she IS feeling 99% better (still has that 1% of getting all her strength back to be 100%)...her surgeon gave her a 60-70% chance that the surgery would "fix" things, WITHOUT having any stones..i think if you DO have stones...the success rate is much higher. A few people are worse after surgery...I guess you just have to decide if you trust the doctor & again..do your homework..get a 2nd opinion...the 2nd HIDA scan she had gave us the confidence to go ahead with surgery.
Decision to remove gallbladder shouldn't be made overnight. Become a detective and do your own research before making that decision. Be careful, while every surgery carries immediate serious risks (risks involved with any surgery), there are also health risks that you may face 5 or 15 or 20 years later.
I read a collection of web pages that talk about risks involved with gallbladder removal. Also long time risks like cancer, bowel disease, heart disease, allergies ...  If you go to google.com search engine and search on:
"reasons for avoiding gallbladder removal"
I think you will find those pages ...

I can say as a victim of a gall bladder causing much distress, it hurts. I went thru pain on and off having severe attacks for 2 years. My life was miserable. Finally after 2 emergency room visits (where they said I had an ulcer not once but twice , giving me a perscription for zantac both times) I contacted my doctor and after a couple months I was diagnosed having tons of stones. I went to see a specialist, and the Saturday before my pre-op doctors appointment, my gall bladder started to rupture. I got to the ER barely had a pulse (it was taken 4 times). The doctors then said another 8 hrs and I would have been dead. Thank god for the doctors and my boyfriend. The best thing I did was get my gall bladder removed. Though for me it did take almost 8-10 weeks for a full recovery, the only problem I have now is a sever weight gain. I have gained almost 80 lbs. The more i make an effort to lose weight I seem to gain more. Needless to say I am a very miserable person now. Can someone please help me?
I think you get to the point where you are so miserable with the GB in and not working, that having it out becomes the right decision. You can never know for sure what the long term effects with be....but if you are in pain every day and life in general revolves around your pain...well...you have to decide when you reach that point. Also..you do not know when it can get really bad and cause some serious issues with your pancreas and liver.

good luck...

My advice is to check it out thoroughly before undergoing surgery! I thought that I had read enough, and asked all the questions, but since my surgery I have been feeling worse!

I had the lap. done on the 24th january, 2003 to remove my gallbladder. My HIDA scan came back at 33.4% functioning, with negative ultrasound and CATscan.  However, I could not digest any types of fats (whether it was animal or vegetable). I was on a FAT FREE diet for 4 months  before surgery, and a very, very low fat diet for the last couple of years.

I am not sure if it was only the gallbladder that was my problem. I had right side pain, indigestion etc., slight nausea but no vomiting.

Today was the first time that I added some bulk to my soup (had the vegetables and potatoes blended first). I also ate some oat bran with fat free soy milk. The pain is very intense, with some heartburn as well. I feel like my gallbladder is still there, since it's that type of pain. Once I stay on clear liquids I feel better. Have no idea what is going on.

So, bottom  line, CHECK everything first before having the surgery. It's very distressing to feel like **** after going through all of that.

Best of luck.