Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Do you think this is my gallbladder?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Do you think this is my gallbladder?

I have been nauseated basically everyday for the past 2 1/2 months.  I have lost 20 pounds because I cannot stand to eat.  I have had ultrasounds, ct scans, upper GI, and HIDA scan done.  The HIDA scan was the only one to be "off" with a score of 35%, which I have learned is a failing score.  I have pain only occasionally, and it is upper right under the rib cage pain. Feels like someone is inside grabbing and twisting.  Usually lasts about an hour or so. Have also had intense chest pain that bores into my back, also lasts about an hour.  These painful moments are only a few times a month, but the nausea is daily.

My mother and grandmother had their gallbladders removed due to "sludge".  No stones for either of them.  My mom's hida scan was about the same score as mine, and within a few months, it had turned gangreen.  This makes me nervous!

I saw the surgeon last week and he said "is your gallbladder every going to get better? No", "will it need to come out?  More than likely yes", "is this why you are nauseated? I don't know".  

So I am having and EGD done on Wednesday (probably under general anesthesia because regular sedation drugs don't put me out).  

I have been on Prilosec, Nexium, and now Prevacid to see if any of them help, which they don't.  

Has anybody else experienced this?  Can the gallbladder cause nausea without constant pain with it?  If they do find something from the EGD, should I also have the gallbladder taken out right away (or soon) anyway, since it is only going to get worse down the road?  I am only 28.

Any words of wisdom?
I had my gallbladder remove 3 month ago and my symptoms were like yours ... so, yes it can be  gall stones... but I still having the symptoms and now they think I have stones in the common bile duct ,so be SURE they check if you don't have problems in your duct. and let me know what happen .... hope  you fell better
My daughter has almost constant nausea.(she is only 19)...her HIDA scan came back at 32%, plus it would not fill, so they had to give her morphine to make the sphincter of oddi close up, so the gallbladder would fill..I guess delayed visualization is another symptom of an inflamed gallbladder.

She has had 2 EGD's done..one a month ago..showed minor gastritis, but no hiatal hernia or ulcers or any valve problems..negative for H. Pylori, they took a bile sample..that was negative for crystals. Negative for stones on an ultrasound 18 months ago. I would guess that the EGD will come back normal. I guess it doesn't hurt to know that for sure. she has taken almost every stomach medicine out there.

Almost everyone here says "get the dumb thimg taken out"..i hope that is what the surgeon says on thursday. Her GI doc said nothing was wrong. (he had not read her chart or the HIDA scan before the appointment...) he said "nothing organically wrong" before I asked about it..then after he read it..he wouldn't admit there was anything there. Thank God that the nurse had told me the test results over the phone a few days before the appointment.
I would strongly recommend a test called a gastric emptying scan, or test. You eat a small meal with isotopes (tasteless) and then lay on a table while they take pictures of your stomach as the food digests. You may have a stomach motility disorder (sometimes called gastroparesis). For me the main symptom was nausea, from the food not digesting properly. I went for a long time without a proper diagnosis, and therefore no treatment. I did also have my gall bladder out, and that helped some. Many people with stomach motility problems have also had gall bladder problems, and vice versa. It is an easy, painless test, and will give you valuable information. With my gall bladder I had nausea and vague discomfort occassionally just under the breastbone on the right side. This is an often over looked and undiagnosed condition, but so easy to identify if the test is done. Many doctors don't even think of it.
Hi there...I was reading this and was freaking out...sounds exactly like what my husband has been suffering from for almost 2 years.  He cannot eat...all he does is sleep.  He is nauseated to the point of debillitation.  He rarely has chest pain...just sometimes pressure.  We have had gastric emptying, hida scan...about 30 other tests.  We have even been to Mayo and they couldn't diagnose us.  I have heard over and over again that the gall bladder is sometimes bad when tests are negative.  I wish they would just cut him open and see what is up!  Please let me know if you find any releif!

Lisa
Lisa,
I've been feeling sick for the last 18 months. It is worse in the night and the morning but has been fairly constant for the whole time. I was an exceptionally fit person prior to this illness but I am now too tired to do anything. It comes over me as if I'm sedated on drugs. I can't drive a car because I get too tired. I'm 29!
My stomach feels uncomfortable all teh time and I'm bloated and get wind a lot.
I'm having an endoscopy this week but it sounds as if it could be something to do wiht my gallbladder.

Do I have similar symptoms to your husband? What is he thinking of doing about it?( if he has the energy to do ANYTHING)
I'll let you know how the endoscopy went. Ihope he's feeling okay at the mo. I know how he feels and its soul destroying

Lu
A related discussion, stomach problems and fatigue was started.