Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Dull pain mid upper abdomen, radiating thru to mid back pain, burping, ...

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Dull pain mid upper abdomen, radiating thru to mid back pain, burping, ideas?

Please help, I have had burping for at least a couple of years on and off but now have a constant gnawing pain under breastbone in upper stomach area.  This pain goes right through to my mid back causing back pain sought of a bruising feeling.  Also I burp alot.   I have had ultrasound to check for gallstones etc, barium meal and endoscopy but nothing found.  Pain seems to be more often now, sometimes goes away but comes back.  I can't stop worrying about it.   I have tried taking acid reduction tablets like Acimax, gaviscon, degas pills and just recently been prescribed merbentol for antispasmodic which isn't helping much apart from it seems to help my back pain but the upper stomach pain is still there.   Are there any other tests I can have.  Could the gastro specialist have missed something in the endoscopy and would he have looked at the pancreas as well.
Hope someone can help, I am feeling really depressed.
It sounds exactly to me like a hiatus hernia. My mother, sister and I all have one. I have stomach pain really bad between the belly button and lower ribs but my sister has exact symptoms as yours. Go and get an upper GI x-ray done to confirm this.
Idon't know how to get back here because I am new to computers, but in ready your post it sounds similar to mine.  I have had in the past 3 pancreatic attacks.  Pain on my left side radiating to my back and the coming straigt to my heart.  Iwas hospitalized each time just for the night and then it passed.  For the past 6 weeks I have been experiencing pain under my chest on both sides and often to my back.  I have noticed that I am gassy a little constipated. It seems when I eat I start to feel bad approx l0 to 40 minutes after.  I am going to go in tomorrow for I guess it is called an endoscopy.  Sticking sometjing down my throat and looking at my esopagus and as far as he can see.  If you email me I will keep you posted.  You sound like you have some similiar symptoms.  Have you been constipated at all?  how long does the discomfort last.  I don't know how I got to this page but you can email me at ***@****.  I am going to try and figure out how to get back here.  I am trying to solve this. I think the Dr's are ok, but I am not sure they can find ou something.
I thought about that as well, I have had an endoscopy though, wouldn't that show a hiatus hernia?

I have been told that I have cholesterol in my
         gall bladder I have never heard of that, does
         anyone have info on this. I have the same con-
         dition as described in subject and would like
         any info that might help, Dr. wants me to have
         surgery "not sure" I want to do that.
                              Jobo
A endoscopy will not show if there is anything wrong with your pancreas. The pancreas is "Behind" the stomach, not in it. It sounds like it could very well be your pancreas. A CT-Scan, abdominal ultra sound would show. Have you had any of these and what does your doctor say about it? He should be checking your pancreas.

-Jenn
My Hiatal hernia showed up with an upper barium x-ray.  Did not show up with the EGD or the Ultrasound of the abdomen.

I had a CT scan of the abdomen today to rule out a problem with the pancreas and liver as this could not be seen with an EGD or the ultrasound.
I have the same type pain and discomft in my upper right abdomen,
sometimes my pain is worse after a bowel movement. However, the pain do not go into my back. I also feel bloated  quite a bit,and my midrif has  increased  tremendously in size.

On tomorrow I will be having an abdomen/pelvic CT Scan ,and the following week,I am scheduled for a Baran Enema and Upper GI Series. My doctor is searching for a possible  Liver problem,,Pancreas problems or scarred tissues that may be attacked  to one of the above. Following my results I will
contact you again .

I also had the same type of pain, mostly directly in the center of my breastbone, radiating through to my back, keeping me up at night because the pain was so bad. I also had intermittent pain on my right side (liver area) that sometimes radiated to my back. I had an ERCP done yesterday, and the doctor removed several stones from my bile duct. My gall bladder was removed 5 years ago, and I have had such stones in my duct since then. I feel much better today, but it is still too early to tell whether the problem is cured or not. E-mail me at ***@**** if you want to discuss this further. Thanks.