Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Dumping syndrome
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Dumping syndrome

Yesterday, I had an episode again of having a dumping episode that seems to be diarrhea pushing a regular stool ahead of it within two hours of eating a regular full meal.  This always seems to result in abdominal bloating, moderate pain on the bottom left side of the descending colon with flushing, cold sweats, light headedness, and nausea. I was so lightheaded that I thought I was going to pass out on the toilet yesterday. This morning, I find myself passing blood with some gas in the amount of about a two tablespoons.  This happened in 2003, and the bleeding was much worse in the form of a cup or so and it continued for a few days and occured right after a dumping incident and that scared me.  I immediately went to my primary care who ordered a colonoscopy which was negative and I was referred to a proctologist who said I had internal bleeding hemorrhoids and a bleeding fissure. One internal hemorrhoid she banded. That was it as far as treatment.  I have had a few dumping incidents off and on since 2003 but without bloody stools afterwards. It seems that I still have this dumping problem every few months or so. If I look back to 1993, I realized that I have had this dumping syndrome off and on within a couple of hours after eating just like I had before I had my bad gall bladder removed in 1994.

I am 50, I have arteriosclerosis and PVD in both legs, and I take Zocor and Niacin for my cholesterol. My heart is fine, and I do not have stomach problems that I know of. My mother did have hypoglycemia, and my blood sugar appears to be fine as I have been tested for diabetes in a study when I was still in the military a few years ago in 1997. I retired after 25 years of active duty in 1998.

I feel like my primary care and the proctologist are both side tracked by the bleeding and normal colonoscopy and I would like to know why I am still having this dumping problem. I would like to get this problem resolved and I am hoping for some advice as how to proceed to get this resolved.

Thank You,

Scott