Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Duodenal Ulcer and stomach tender to the touch

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I've been having abdominal pain for a bit over two months. Last week I was diagnosed with a duodenal ulcer and am taking Amoxicillin, Biaxin and Prevacid. I am one week into treatment and feel only marginally better.

My question is about stomach tenderness. Is a tender stomach normal with a peptic ulcer? My entire stomach area, from just below my breasts, down to my navel, is very tender to the touch. When touched it produces like a burning/stinging/bruised feeling. Depending on the day, or time of the day, the pain is greater or less. It's not any worse than it has been for the past month or so, but it is worrying me. Is this normal with a duodenal ulcer?
Amoxicillin, Biaxin & Prevacid are often taken together to eradicate Helicobacter Pylori, a bacterial infection that can lead to stomach and duodenal ulcers.  A tender stomach is very common with peptic ulcer, either duodenal or gastric.

Enoch Choi, MD
Thanks a lot, Doctor. The tenderness has been much better for the past four days or so, so that is encouraging. I've been on Prevacid for 11 days, but I'm still getting hunger pangs every two hours or so after eating. When can I expect these to start to diminish?