Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Elavated alt and sgot

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Elavated alt and sgot

Dear Med Help,
  My son and I have had elevated liver counts since October 1997.  At this time I had taken him (age 14 ) to the family doctor with symptoms of nausea, dizziness, headache and fatigue.  They diagnosed him with mononucleosis.  I was tested and told the same.  Since then our liver counts have been slowly elevating, at last lab test they were -(mine) ast 100 and alt 102, (my son's) ast 92 and alt 202.  We are both experiencing fatigue, nausea and pain in our right side at our rib cage.  We have days where we feel ok and other days where we hardly even get out of bed.  We have both had an ultra sound of our livers and I have had a cat scan of mine.  We do not drink alcohol and seldom take any over the counter meds.  We are currently seeing a infectious disease specialist and a gastroenterologist.  We have both been tested for hepatitis and the results were negative.  We are both slightly overweight.  Our cholesteral and tryglicerides are ok.  At times (when we are feeling very fatigued ) we have trouble concentrating.  Can you tell me what could be causing the elevated liver levels.
_______________
Dear Vanessa,
The fact that both you and your son are ill suggests an infectious or a common toxin cause for your liver problems. It is important to know which markers were used to diagnose the mononucleosis.  Infectious mononucleosis, due to the EB virus, frequently involves the liver but usually does not cause the chronic symtoms (symptoms) that you describe.  In fact, the gretaer than 6 month duration of your symptoms and elevated liver tests suggests chronic liver disease.  Although there are a number of blood and urine tests that could be done to try and make a diagnosis, I suggest that you have a liver biopsy which will provide direct information regarding the liver process and also show the extent of liver damage (which correlates poorly with the liver enzymes).
This response is offered for your general information and should not replace the conclusions drawn from a careful and complete evaluation by your physician.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: hepatitis, infectious mononucleosis
0.2

A related discussion, elevated levels was started.