Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Elevated ALT

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Elevated ALT

I am a 33 year old male 5'7 200lbs and recently had blood work done and the results showed that I had an elevated ALT level of 67 on a scale from 2-60. My AST came back normal at 31 on a scale of 10-41 and so did my bilirubin total at 0.6 on a scale from 0.2-1.1. Just last year I was screened for all of the hepatitis diseases and all were negative. I do take Paxil, Wellbutrin and Lamictal for anxiety and ocd disorder. I take Nexium for acid reflux. I have not had a drink in 2 years. I use to socially drink alot. Also on my blood test results were elevated Choloesterol 255, Triglycerides 315, LDL 162, VLDL 53 Chol/HDL ratio was 6.2. My HDL was 16 which is low. My doctor said that it could be some otc drugs I took. I am going to take another blood test in a couple of days. After researching on this site and some other medical sites I think I could have fatty liver. Is the elevated alt of 67 something to worry about? My Dr. says that he just wants to cover all basis which I can appreciate, but I am a little worried something could be wrong. Thank you for your help.
You note a mildly elevated ALT level.  Hepatitis screen negative.  Certainly medications can be a possibility - some of the psychiatric and anti-depressive medications may be responsible.  

If you drink alcohol, one considerations would be to abstain and recheck the enzymes after a period of time.  

Given the slightly elevated levels, you may want to consider an abdominal ultrasound.  This can evaluate for fatty liver, as well as other diseases that can affect the liver and elevate the bilirubin (i.e. gallbladder disease).

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b