Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Elevated AST and ALT

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Elevated AST and ALT

I am 37 1/2 years old. After getting my blood tested...I found out that I have elevated AST and ALT scores. See history below
              ALT                AST
2/26/99        16                 18
6/29/01        34                 21
12/7/01        55                 35
1/3/02         70                 52

My doctor (after 6/29/01 test) thought it was from drinking. I had not been drinking much alcohol. At his advise, I pretty much eliminated booze. After taking another test in 6 months, the ALT AST scores increased. This next time I completely abstained from alcohol. Again I took another test and the ALT/AST scores increased. I have never had blood transfusions or taken drugs.
I am on no medication.
I and my doctors cannot figure out why the levels have been increasing? Last advise from my Gastro is to continue to eliminate alcohol, vitamins etc. and re-test in a couple of months.

My cholesterol is high. I brought it down to 224 from 245 on 6/29/01.

I really would like to understand what is going on.

Jack
It could be caused by a fatty liver.  Fat can accumulate in your liver and can affect your AST and ALT.  The doctor can check for this by a sonogram.  They will also want to test for hepatitis.  My numbers have been around 88 on ALT.  Even after a biopsy they could not tell me anything.  I know I do not exercise enough. I am considering going on a low fat diet.  I am 30 years old.
I have the same thing: ALT 62 and AST 45. But, a friend told me that eating meat increases the liver enzymes. So, I went without meat (and you should not drink ANY alcohol during this time either) for 10 days and was re-tested. My results: ALT 18, AST 18 and Alkaline Phos 70, Pancrease Lipase and Amalayse: Normal...Heptatitis Panel: Negative.

Do this and get re-tested!!!
I did get a Liver Ultrasound and quite detailed testing for Hepatitis. All came back negative. I have not drank any alcohol for over 4 months. ?????
It is not likely, but another possible cause is an autoimmune problem.  I am 36 years old, and was recently diagnosed with this (sometimes called Autoimmune Hepatitis).  They tested for viral cause (negative), and ruled out excess alcohol as a cause for me.  Turned out to be this uncommon immune system problem.  Basically, my immune system is attacking my liver.  This is probably NOT what is happening to you (fatty liver is most likely), but it is worth making sure your docs know about it and are examining your results to rule it out.  No need to panic, though, this autoimmune thing is a slow progressing and relatively rare disorder; you probably don't have it.

I agree with the others, probably best to stop alcohol (I know that stinks...I miss the occasional glass of wine) and try a low fat diet.  That will likely fix it.
I also may have autoimmune hepatitis i've tested positive but my doc said some people can test positive and not really have it, i am on the higher end of the scale and will see my doctor in 2 weeks to discuss further testing, this may be something you should ask your doc about Boogie