Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Elevated AST level
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Elevated AST level

Brief History:  I am female, 39 years old, overweight, 4 months postpartum, and breastfeeding.  Medical history is hypothyroid, mild asthma (I am asymtomatic in my asthma right now and not on meds).  I had a possibly precancerous (AK?) lesion removed 6 months ago.  I currently had 2 suspicious moles/lesions biopsied and I am awaiting results. No other significant history.  I had a cbc w/ diff and a chemisrty panel done.  All cbc and chem panel results were normal EXCEPT for the following:
AST 44(normal is 14-36)
cholesterol 203 (desired range below 200)
TSH ultra sensitive 6.55(normal .465-4.6)

All other levels in the chemestry and sbs profile were within normal range, for example
ALT  47  (normal 9-52)
Alk Phos  76 (normal 38-126)
HDL 53
LDL 124
Triglicerides (triglycerides) 128

What would cause an elevated AST? I have not been on any meds except postnatal vitamin and my synthroid.  No recent viral illness.  I have been experience fatigue, but just thought this was maybe my thryoid. I am concerned what an elevated AST could mean.
Thank You
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
AST and TSH are elevated, suggestive of possible liver disease and hypothyroidism.  

I would obtain a liver ultrasound and blood tests for hepatitis for an initial screen.  Alcohol and medications that can affect the liver should be stopped.  

If the tests remain negative, periodically monitoring the liver enzymes should be done to ensure the levels aren't rising.  

Further testing for liver disease can include an ANA level and iron studies (to evaluate for autoimmune and hemochromatosis respectively).

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
1 Comment
Blank
my daughter has had her spleen removed and has not recovered from her surgery completely, it has been 2 months . Her alkp and ast/sgot, and alt/sgpt are always elevated. alkp-201 ,ast/sgot-66,  and the alt/sgpt  is 105 but the dr.s dont seem worried. Is this ok? She has also had her pancreas removed with an auto islet cell transplant in 2005 , a small bowel hernia repair in 2006 .and her colon partially removed in 2007, then totally removed 2007  and then her spleen removed in 2007 all done within a 6 month period except for the pancreas.  She also had a cardiac pacemaker in 2003 and her gallbladder out and appendix removed and 2 endometriosis scopes.in 2004. Would all these surgeries keep her levels elevated? She is only 22 years old. No body can tell us what is going on. None of this is in our family history.   dee
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity