Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Elevated GGT

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Elevated GGT

I recently returned from the doctor and discovered that my GGT was eleveated to 127 where I believe the normal level was to 78.  My other liver enzymes were normal as were all other test with exception of a slightly elevated LDL (122).  Cholesterol was 168, Tryglyceride 65, HDL 33.  I have not had alchohol in months but proir to that would have considered myself a moderate to heavy drinker for about 10 years.  My previous GGT was just below normal (75) and I had abstained from drinking for a month or so before that.  I had a ultrasound done a year or two ago that indicated sludge in my gallbaldder but no stones.  I am currently taken atenelol, nexium, and was taking aleve for about 4 days just prior to the blood tests.  The naproxen was for muscle aches associated with the flu.

Do you think such limited use of naproxen just prior to the blood test could affect the GGT results?  

Could the gallbladder sludge be the culprit?

Would any permanent damage to the liver from drinking be shown from the high GGT with other liver levels being normal.

GGT is normally affected by the liver, however other diseases can also elevate this level - like pancreatitis or celiac disease.

I would further evaluate the liver with a repeat ultrasound, as well as blood tests to rule out hepatitis.  It is unlikely that a single episode of naproxen would elevate the GGT to that level.

If the liver tests continue to be negative, and the GGT continues to rise, you may want to investigate the other causes.  This can include imaging and blood tests to evaluate the pancreas, as well as antibody tests to rule out celiac disease.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician, or in conjunction with a GI specialist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
1 Comment
As I did with my doc :).  I have had a nagging pain under my ribs on my right side for about 3-4 weeks.  Sort of feels like a stich.  It comes and goes with different severity and sometimes goes more towards my back.  It is about 4 inches below my nipple and tends to go from right below to sometimes more than halfway around my torso.