Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Elevated Liver Enzymes - High Protein Diet?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Six months ago I had routine blood work done as part of a yearly physical.  The liver enzymes were 22.  Just this week I had the bloodwork done again. (I was borderline Hyperthyroid, and we were just keeping a check on that.)
This time my liver enzymes had increased to 102!  In six months time...

The only thing different in my life is the NutriSystem diet.  It is a very balanced diet with good carbs, plenty of fruits and veggies every day, and good fats.  BUT, the diet is very high in protein.  Soy protein powder is added to every meal.  

Could the high proteins be causing damage to my liver?  Do elevated enzymes mean there has already been damage done?  Should I discontinue the diet?  It has been really great for me.  By the way, I am 38 years old and weigh 140 lbs.  I have lost 13 pounds in the past three months.  Also, my gallbladder was removed, due to gallstones, in 2001.

What should the next step be?  Do I need to get further testing done?  Is 102 extremely high?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!
It is possible that the diet may be affecting the liver enzymes.  One way to tell would be to recheck the enzymes off the diet.  

However, I would ensure there isn't anything more serious present.  A liver ultrasound as well as hepatitis screen would be a good initial workup.  

An AST or ALT level of 102 would be mild-moderately elevated.  This certainly should be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
ive just had a lft and my alt was 49 and my ggt was 70 everything else was fine i am a big drinker and my doc said it is from the drink and to cut down and get retested in a month my question is are the scores high should i be worried i suffer from panic disorder
A related discussion, elevated enzymes in children was started.