Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Elevated Liver Enzymes (SGPT in particular)

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I recently had a blood test (1 month back) and it showed elevated liver enzymes. In particular, my SGPT levels were 63 (normal is considered between 7-46 I have been told).  My SGOT level is 31 (normal being 5-40).  I am a male that is approximatley 38% over-weight. I very rarely drink alcohol (less than 5 drinks per month).  I did have a pretty poor diet until just recently.  

Approximately 4 years ago, I received an ultra-sound as I was experiencing pains around the bottom of my rib cage on the right.  They determined through that and blood tests that it was most likely a fatty liver condition.  Back then, I was drinking a fair amount (1+ case of beer per week).

After my recent visit, the doctor mentioned that the elevated liver enzymes were not of any major concern at the moment.  He basically told me to start eating right and excersize more often.  In one years time, he wants to redo the tests and see if the levels have improved.  

My question to this forum would be on the prognosis.  Does the concept of waiting for a year, eating right, etc. sound reasonable? Or should I seek more medical attention on the matter?  

Thanks.

I have elevated liver enzymes (sgot & sgpt).  I do not have a fatty liver, do not drink, and eat healthy. So far, I have been told it could be nothing.  I have gone periodically for more bloodwork, to see of the levels go down on their own first.
I was told by my doc that if I did drink, I should stop completely, so you should,too.  Also, a better diet could always help. As for the bloodtest--I, myself would not want to wait an entire year to redo them. I would say to give it a reasonable amount of time to have your new habits take some effect, but I would ask your doctor when he/she thinks you could do the bloodwork again, sooner than a year, just to get more information.
CHECK OUT OTHER POSTS ABOUT MY CONDITION. THEY SHOULD GO DOWN WITH THOSE CHANGES IF YOU DON'T DRINK. I DO DRINK SO IT'S HARDER FOR THEM TO GO DOWN. SINCE NO DOCTORS ANYWHERE GIVE GOOD ADVICE ON THESE DAMN ENZYMES, IT MAKES YOU NOT CARE ABOUT THEM. DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO. I KNOW MINE ARE HIGH FROM DRINKING.

I was diagnosed with a fatty liver two years ago.  One of the symptoms I was having was a spasm like pain in the upper right quadrant.  I am (unfortunately, still) overweight but I do not smoke or drink. My doctor sent me to an internal med specialist.  He happened to be a somewhat holistic doc.  He told me to take vitamin C (100), Vitamin E (400) and choline/inositol comes combined and only in one dosage, every morning.

My liver enzymes were checked once a month until they dropped significantly, then it was every three months.  Since they were normal last time, I am now checked every 6 months.  

This morning I woke up with spasms for the first time in years.  I should not have quit taking the vitamin/mineral supplements.  When I ran out, I just quit.  I am going to go buy some today.

The sad thing about liver problems is that EVERYTHING you eat, drink, smoke, or BREATHE affects you.  I was told that when in high volumes of traffic, I should close the windows and use air conditioning.  No aerosol sprays, and even bug repellent normally rubbed on the skin is absorbed through the liver.  Amazing!  For those of you with liver problems...be careful what you eat, drink, smoke(quit!), breathe or put on your skin!  Take care! :)
Hi - new to site. I also have had extreme elevations in liver enzymes (about 2-yrs ago). The SGPT and also... (forget the abbriviation but it's also 4-letter for liver). One level was  > 1,300 and the other was > 1,200 on a blood test which doc said they should be in loww-dbl digits like 30-45. They kept doing blood tests every couple days, weeks, months and they both went down to normal. Gastro Doc said symtoms (symptoms) of Hep.C but didn't have it. At that time, my muscles were so week in my legs I couldn't stand for more than a couple minutes - no other symtoms (symptoms). Doctors never have found anything but it still worries me. Does anyone have simular stories?
I also have: IBS, GERD, Gastritus, Splenic Flexture Syndrom (syndrome),
Fibromyalgia, and now from a biopsy of my stomach - the stomach lining is changing to look my small intestine lining & Gastro Doc doesn't know why. Also, does anyone know what to take for horrible digestion. I'm at a point where all I can eat w/o stomach pain, gas etc is salad and fish - and sometimes that is too heavy. thanks so much.
A related discussion, to much vitamin d3 was started.