Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Elevated Liver Enzymes

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Elevated Liver Enzymes

I am 31 years old 6ft 210 lbs.  I have always been very athletic in my life. Never Drink, no drugs, no smoke. Although in the last 5-6 years I have not been very active as far as sports but I am in good condition and I eat fairly healthy.  About 4 years ago I was told by my Doctor I had elevated Liver Enzymes and consequently my Life insurance policy was slightly rated.  At the time it was about 89.  We took the test again and a few weeks later it was 74.  he did all the recommended tests.  I was negative for all hepatitis.  I had a sonogram done earlier this year and it was normal , no leisons, no enlarged, no fattyness.  I recently (about 2 weeks ago)  went to him for some headaches I have been having.  I was possibly  attributing this to some vitamins that I have been taking from a COmpany called Roex(B's C's, Calcium, grape seed extract, olive leaf extract.  My grandmother swears by it.  I tried them becasue I felt that I have been lacking nutrients.   However, The Dr. said that wasnt the cause.  Since I was in the office I said lets do my regular liver test.  The results came back 140!  I am getting concerned because I feel that My Doctor is not experienced at all in this instance and I need some recommendations as to what could be causing this possibly some guidance on where I can go for some expert help. I am in the NYC area. I am very concerned.
Dear Mike,
The possible causes for elevated liver tests in an individual without symptoms suggestive of other illness includes the following conditions:
viral hepatitis -exc;uded by appropriate blood tests

autoimmune liver disease- can be excluded by blood tests

metabolic liver disease- both iron and copper overload can cause prolonged elevations of liver tests often with the absence of other symptoms.  Blood and urine tests will confirm the diagnosis

toxic hepatitis- e,g, due to prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications or industrial exposures.  A detailed medical history should exclude these possibilities.

Sometimes, the blood and other tests do not suggest a diagnosis.  In these instances it is sometimes necessary to do a liver biopsy.

There are two different types of liver enzyme, SGPT AND SGOT.  Are both of them high?  Have you checked total billirubin and alky phosphate.  Are you takig TYLENOL?  I am not a doctor, but it is my understanding that numbers like 89, 74, and 140 are pretty much the same even though they are higher than normal.  I recommend that you see a good hepatologist (liver specialist) and get a professional opinion.  Meanwhile try not to worry.

Good luck.
Dear doctor, I am a 37yr old female and for the past year I have been sufferig with severe bloating in my stomach my stools are hard at times and I have severe gas amost constantly. I am taking prilosec and it doesnt seem to be working any more either. For the past day or so I have had a pain in my left side right under my ribs that seems to feel better when I apply pressure on it. Could you please give me your opinion as to what this could be and do you think I should seek medical attention asap? I have had this pain before and it went away but its not going away this time its been 24hrs and no relief? Thank you, Lori

Hello Mike!!
I wonder if your Doctor has checked for
Gilberts syndrome? I have had this syndrome for
17 yrs. and I was in and out of Hospitals from
age 12 to age 15 before it was discovered.
It always amazes me how little information is
available to Doctors on this subject.
My liver enzymes were insanely high every
time I had a blood test. I underwent two blood
tests every week for three years.When I
finally found a liver specialist that knew
what he was doing, I was prescibed 10 mg of
Phenobarbital twice a day for one month.I was
better imediately. Then 6 months later, I
received another prescription, and for 14
years, I've been in great shape!!!
If you have any questions regarding liver
problems, please Email me at
***@****
I am 35 years old and have been seeing a G.I. doctor for over a year.  My liver enzymes have been elevated for over a year.  The ultrasound showed that I have a fatty liver which my my GI doctor concluded that this was a result of having diabetes.  My sugar levels are very well control 124- 130.  I been suffering with pain on my right side for the last 3 months.  I'm very worried that my doctor is missing something because, I'm not getting any better.  Is there anything that anyone could recommend?  I want to make sure I've check out everything that could be causing my elvated levels + the pain thats on my upper right side.
Check if you have a condition called NASH.
Check cholesterol level, and how much overwieght are you.
check ferritin and iron saturation levels.
Hi Mike: I read your question and the Doctor's response.  My layman's opinion is you should be screened for hemachromatosis (iron overload disease.)  You are the right age for symptoms to begin to show.  At 39, I first showed elevated ALT.

Simple blood tests can determine if you should be evaluated further for HH.  Ask you doctor to check your ferritin levels and transferrin saturation (serum iron divided by Total Iron Binding Capacity (TIBC).  A saturation above 50% and a ferritin above 300 are suspect.  Next step is probably a genetic test (Michigan State University will send you a cheek brush kit fairly cheap and give you a result in ten days.)

Treatment is de-ironing through weekly phlebotomies and will save damage to liver, heart and other organs.  Iron levels can be maintained by several phlebotomies per year.

This may not be your problem, but it would be a tragedy not to rule it out.  Early treatment is the key to a normal life.  Check out American Hemachromatosis Society:  www.emi.net
I am 45 years old and a little overweight (215).  My liver enzymes have been steadily climbing for the last ten years.  My GGT has gone from 92 (in 1991) to 110 (1996) to 144 (this month), and my ALT is also now high (80).  My cholesterol is 220 and is a little higher over that period.  I do not routinely take prescription drugs and have an occasional beer or two.  At the age of 32, I was diagnosed with mononucleosis, which I suppose, resulted from some findings even back then.  I've seen a few drs who state that I may have had hepatitis, but do not say much more.  Any thoughts?  Should I be concerned?  Any actions that you would recommend?
Joel:  See message for Mike and Joe.  Screen for iron; it's simple, relatively cheap and a potential life saver.  American Hemachromatosis website is: www.americanhs.org

My lab tests were very similar to what you describe.  It can't hurt to be screened, so don't put it off.
my doctor wants me to see a gastroenterologist re my test results AST (sgot) was 59 H and ALT (sgpt) was 107 H, which he states is abnormal the albumin was 4.3 , bilirubin total was .6 , bilirubin direct was .23 , and alkaline phosphatas is 104, if someone could email me back at ***@**** since the appointment with the specialist isnt till february, i would like a little info now...thanks
I am a 46 year old female in great health.  I do not drink or take drugs. Since 1996, when I had my Gallbladder removed, I have had an elevated GGT count.  It's been from 166, 4 years ago, then 144 just two months ago.  It even reached over 600 just after my Gall Bladder surgery.  In October, my Doctor had some blood work done, I've had an ultrasound done and also went through a Liver Biopsy in December.  All tests came back clear.  I have stopped all vitamins and tylenol, I'm not on any medications at all and and just had another test taken last week and my GGT went up to 232.  This elevated count really concerns me.  What could be causing it? Please write to me at my email address if you have any information for me - ***@****.
hello, can estrogen,by mouth and vit e 400IU
taken since 1986 plus adult baby aspirin
possibly cause elevated liver counts. Arent women on hormone pills screen after awhile to see what their estogen level is? If liver damage is present wouldnt  it be advisible
to have estogen levels done for that matter a drug screen to make sure someone is not over dosing. If the liver cant detoxicify, would this occur, overdosing of meds?
I am a 32 year old woman.  I have been healthy my whole life outside of struggling with my weight constantly.  In March of 1999 I had a baby who had to be delivered six weeks early because I had developed pre-eclampsia that developed into HELLP Syndrome with key symptoms being Elevated Liver enzymes and Low Platelet count.  Then in July of 1999 I had my gall bladder removed.  Since this surgery, my liver enzymes (ALT, AST, and GGT) have been elevated.  My doctor has done so many test including all hepatitis, Lupus, Arthritis, as well as CT scans and sonograms of my abdomen, and a liver biopsy.  All tests have been normal with the liver biopsy stating "non-specific liver inflammation."  I'm about to the end of my rope with this and all of the medical tests and doctors with no answers.  If anyone has any comments or ideas that could help me please do.
Firts of all excuse my English because I
I have been having problems with my liver enzyme GGT since I finished Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer.  The Dr. sent me to a liver specialist, and I took myself off all herbs for a short time and it came down some.  I take Greens + everyday as well as
soy to maintain health, however my enzyme is back up to 224.  
Could this problem be an effect from the chemo?  The oncologist says no.  I am having problems finding out what this enzyme does or if it is even dangerous for it to be this high.  I also have had numerous cat scans, ultrasounds, etc. with everything normal.
I am 4 years cancer free and want this nuisance to go away.  My herbologist has recommended milk thistle to cleanse the liver.  Any ideas out there?
15 years ago I had a full physical including a full blood work up.  My liver enzymes came back high.  My doctor thought it was nothing to worry about, possibly caused my the 10 years I had been on oral birth control.  I stopped taking the pill and we retested at 3 monthes.  The levels were higher.  My doctor wasn't concerned but did a series of blood tests to rule out the usual, Lupus, Hepititus, etc.  The blood tests revealed nothing except a elevated SED Rate.  SED Rate is a non-specific test which indicated inflamtion of some type somewher in the body. Normally my doctor said he would ignore the SED Rate, since I was healthy and all the other blood tests were normal, but the elevated liver enzymes were another symptom.  So I had more blood tests, a liver sonogram and final was refered to a gastroenterolgist for a liver biopsy.

Everthing came out normal.  But because of the liver biopsy, I can no longer get a standard life insurance policy!

That was 15 years ago.  My liver enzymes and SED Rate are still elevated.  I have no other symptoms.  My advice, as long as you are healthy - ignore it.

PS  Most blood centers will not accept your blood if your liver enzymes are high.   They assume liver disease.
My story sounds similar to many submitted. 11/98, while applying for life insurance, I discovered my elevated liver enzymes. I'm 31, very healthy otherwise (workout regularly, not overweight, & eat a primarily "whole foods" diet). I've had blood tested every 3 months since. My gastroenterologist ruled out all viral Hepatitis (yet informed me that this very condition we all have is called, "Hepatitis"). I have had 1 c-scan, & 2 liver ultrasounds too. I've thusfar refused to biopsy, worried about the dangers, and skeptical that my Dr. has not exhausted every possible non invasive diagnostic test. I'm not sure of my next step. Any suggestions? I'm not the laid back type who can say, "I'm healthy...I'll just sit back, and watch my ALT #'s triple again next year". I encourage anyone who feels knowledgable to send your much needed feedback. ***@****
my husband is 53 and has been denied life insurance twice, reason for being denied, he has too much protein in his blood.what could be the cause of this?
i had blood work done on the 23rd of december.i just received the results.i was declined health insurance,although everything came back perfect,they denied me because of my liver level ,SGPT,came back at 59.i am a 36 year old female.i do take tylenols and also since june take xanax,for anxiety.can this cause this to elevate the level.is this serious??
I am a 30y/o guy who two years ago my doctor saw an increase in my alanine transaminase.  But what worries me now is that this went up to 221 and also the Gamma Glutamy Transfere resulted oustide normal (64).  While I was talking to the doctor he told me that there is no cure for it and that maybe in 10 or 20 years time there maybe some seviourly bad results.  I had also undergone a biopsy but it did not resulted anything. I do not drink and neither take drugs.  The doctor concluded that mine is a non alcoholic hepatitis.  What i would like to know is whether there is any sort of cure to lower my alanine transaminase and the gamma glutamy transfere without damaging more my liver.  Also the doctor suggested that i could not take anymore pills cause they damage more my liver.

I thanking you from advance and if you like to email me please do so at ***@****

thanks once again for your co-operation
I'm 40 and my cholesterol level has been high for about 10 years, ranging from 279 to 319, but my doctor says that there is no proof that medication helps.  Also, my liver enzymes are a little over double what is normal.  Again, my doctor said there is nothing to worry about, but my life insurance does not feel the same way.  I'm also constipated all the time and twice a year I fill the bowl with blood, and what's funny about that, is it happens when I'm not particularly constipated.

I've been tested for hepatitis, but the results were negative.  The liver enzymes have been abnormal for over 5years.  I've never used drugs, the most alcohol I drink in a year is about 6 mixed drinks, but have never been drunk and I never smoked.  I've been married for the past 18years and my wife has been my only sex partner, and before her I only had one other sex partner.

I finally convinced my new doctor to refer me to a liver specialist for a sonogram of my liver, but haven't had it done yet.  I'll have it done early next month.

I also have gout, it usually hits me hard once a year, and the last attack lasted for about 6 months.  They gave me indocin to help with inflamation (inflammation) and vicadin to deal with the pain, and have also put me on allopurinol, but I decided not to stay with the allopurinol, because I felt I was too young for chronic medication.  Whenever I feel a gout attack coming on, I take some indocin, and it usually stops it before it's too late.

I know anti-inflamatories and cholesterol medication are bad for the liver, so what can I do?

Is there a common bond between all of my symptons?
Hello, I need information on treating pancretitus, and if any ones knows any Hollistic or natural ways to combat this disease. I would like to understand how it "happens" (an ERCP was preformed twice within ten days.)and what function a pancreus has and does. So far I have been with out food for 7 weeks and on IV treatment and my liver levels are still high. The doc's are thinking that I have developed pollops on the pancreus. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You, Kim
My concern is that I went to the Dr.  and I have had blood drawn 2 times with each time the liver enzymes high.  I recently had an ultrasound done of my liver, pancrease, right kidney, and gallbladder.  I haven't gotten the results yet.  My concern is that I also have blood in my stools.  Having had several surgeries in the last 5 years, well let's just say I just don't want anymore bad news.  But my questions is there something in common with the 2 or am I just paronoid?  Is there anyone who can answer that for me?
My wife started having excess gas being produced, along with diareha.  The doctor gave her Prilosec to take for a month. Soon after she started taking it she started getting pain in her upper right side(liver area). She got her blood work back from the first visit which said she had elevated liver enzymes. An untrasound was done everything was clear, except her liver and spleen were very enlarged. But, no blockage, clots or tumors.  She still had problems. More blood was taken, Hepetitis (hepatitis) and any other disease was negative, and her liver levels were back to normal, but still the pain. The doctors don't have a clue why everything is clear on the blood tests.  They set her to have a CT Scan which the results have not returned.  In the mean time her Prilosec perscription has finished and after about three days she was been feeling better, but still with occational pain.  If the CT Scan is also negative, Could it be the Prilosec?  What else could we check?
Mel
e-mail: ***@****
My wife, a 50 year old, was just confirmed to have an sgot level of 100 and is worried sick as the doctor told her that she had chirrhosis of the liver.  He advised her to get aq biobsy to see the extent of the damage. she does drink socially and quite a bit on wekends.  But is the sgot reading really indicative of a serious problem?
I recently had blood work and my bilirubin was elevated at 1.2  The past three blood tests the bilirubin was 0.5.  I've been taking xanax; also zoloft. Could this elevate the values?  I also weight train.  I'm going back tomorrow for a repeat test but am very nervous since I had breast cancer 4 1/2 years ago.
i RECENTLY HAD MY GALLBLADDER REMOVED.  bEFORE THIS MY LIVER PANEL WAS AT THE RATE OF 55 WHICH i KNOW IS SLIGHTLY ABOVE NORMAL.  cOULD THIS HAVE BEEN HIGH BECAUSE OF MY GALLBLADDER?
I had gall bladder surgery about 7 years ago but began having severe chest pains very similar to gall bladder attacks.  My doctor said it was acid reflux disease and did standard blood work to rule out ulers caused by bacteria.  The blood work came back showing ALT levels at 1000!  AST levels at 830 and alkaline phosphatase at 178.  My bilirubin is also elevated at 1.5.  I do not drink or smoke.  I have never had a blood transfusion and have never taken drugs.  

I am scheduled for ultra sound next week but am very worried.  I held my dad as he died from liver cancer two years ago.  To ease his pain we gave him morphine.  When he was too weak to swallow the tablets we made a paste of crushed tablet and water which I put under his tongue with my finger.  Could I have put myself at risk with this behavior?

What are the possible reasons for enzyme levels this high?
Recently, on a routine physical, I was found to have an elevated AST of 64. My doctor then ordered a Hepatitis panel, which was normal. I am about 60 lbs overweight, and had been taking ASA on a regular basis (daily) as a prophylactic due to a strong family history of CAD. I also take Ibuprofen and Tylenol on occasion.
The other liver enzymes were normal, my cholesterol was 170.
I don't drink. How freaked out should I get!? The doctor plans to repeat the testing in one month. In the meantime, I'm trying to lose some weight and am off all medications.
I too have tested high on GGT from 162,98,107 and 241 recently.  My ast/sgot went from 19,40 back to 24 and my alt/sgpt went from 28 to 65. My cholesterol is 146.  I drink 3-4 nights per week and consume an average of 5-8 beers, wines or cocktails, somtimes more, especially on a Friday or Saturday night.

I have doctors who have said family genes sometimes dictate that my drinking habits could be OK for my lifetime, and that the liver tests don't necessarily state that I have a liver problem or that I should quit drinking.  Can anyone tell me what is considered very high levels on these tests?  At what point do I tell myself that I better slow it down.....I'm 40 years young and not overweight, in fact I used to work out very intensely years ago....but gave it up.  I enjoy my lifestyle and don't want to give all the fun up....BUT if I'm killing myself....I sure would like to know.  Thank's anyone for comments....you can e-mail me at ***@****
Oops Brad's e-mail is ***@**** NOT wbtfun.....sorry.
My daughter is 3 yrs old her liver enzymes are elevated at first in november they were 200 and 250 then went to 400 and 600 later 300 and 400 now they eliminated all hepatitis also autoimmune and alpha1trips then she had a liver biopsy done looking for glycogen storage disease tests were sent to duke microlab they are not sure if its that they don't have enough sample the liver specialist said he will ask the pathologist if he could lean twards one or the other meaning glycogen or could it be something else her biopsy showed that she had some scarring not much and her liver is enlarged she also has an enlarged belly small red veins in her cheeks her growth has decreased since the age of 15 mths.  

i was just wondering if any of this sounded formiliar to anyone we have been going through this for 3 months now and we still dont have any answers how could they not know by now?
thanks anyone for comments...you can e-mail me at ***@****
HELP!  My son is 13 weeks old and has elevated liver enzyme levels.  He was hospitlaized for RSV (respiratory virus) and they gound that his liver enzymes were "slightly elevated".  Later I found out that his level was 1400!  Within three days it dropped to 700.  Four days later, it was at 628.  Now, three more days have gone by and it is up again to 829.  The doctor said that probably has some form of Hepatitus (hepatitis), but they tested for A,B, and C, all of which were negative.  His billie-rubin levels are normal.  What can make his enzyme levels go up?  The doctors don't seem to know and one of his doctors told me that he honestly had no clue what could be going on.  He is seeing a pediatric gastro doctor.  Are there liver specialists?  What could this be, and as a mother, what should I insist these doctors be doing to my son?  

If you can help, please email me @ ***@****
HELP FROM THE MIDDLE OF AFRICA! Was tested positive for HEP.A. in December99, re tested in Jan 00, negative - all other hep tests are negative. 3 months later myliver function tests are still high, i'm still yellow! as well as nauseous, still losing weight! no liver specialists in this country, having blood tests done weekly, the scan is normal, the biopsy _ they have lost the results!  have no energy, find it really hard to work have been off work for weeks and now back - but going slowly- .
I don't drink, was reasonably fit, don't eat any meat,please, please help
I just came out of the hospital after an 11 day stay.  I can now comment on my own question regarding high liver enzymes.  Perhaps understanding what happened to me will help some of you to understand what is happening to yourselves.

Before I ever got the opportunity to go in for my ultrasound, I went to the emergency room complaining of severe abdominal pain and nausea.

I was diagnosed with gallstones (even though my gall bladder was removed about 10 years ago, a gall stone got me again!  The gall stone was lodged in my common bile duct.  This stone's placement stopped the pancreas from being able to empty it's enzymes.  The end result is that the enzymes began to consume my pancreas, they then moved on to my lower lungs and even to my liver!  (Hence my high liver enzymes.)  

The stone has been removed but my pancreas is taking a long slow time to recuperate.  I am still unable to eat solid foods.  I will most likely be on a liquid diet for another 2 weeks or so.  The doctor tells me that I will recover completely from all of this, but it is a slow process.

I hope this information helps some others out there..... apparently I have had this stone for quite some time and it has been lodging and disloging for months.  Each time it lodged itself in there, more damage would occur.  The last time it did not dislodge without surgival intervention.

I am 20 years old. Just yesterday I have been diagnosed with Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis. I also have Ulcerative Cholitis. My question is, what qualifies one to be put on a liver transplant list? How long is the approximate waiting time? What is the survival rate of those that undergo a liver transplant? And what is the average life span of people after the transplant? I know these are numerous questions, but I am concerned as I know there is no cure for PSC.
Anyone responding to this message please email me at ***@**** as I will probably not find my way back to this web page. Thank you.
Concerned,
Rod
I have a 4 year old with abetalipoproteinemia.  He was also just diagnosed with NASH.  ( Fatty liver with some scarring)  His condition is so rare, there are literally no children to compare him with, and no history.  If there are any people with either of these conditions, I would love to hear from you.  

Sincerely,
Debbie
The doctor told me today that my liver enzymes were extremely high and that I have to see a gastrointologist and have a possible biopsy.  I am really worried as I also have Addison's disease and just got out of the hospital after 5 days of antibiotics for diverticulitis.  My liver counts have been high for a long time, but nothing like they are now.  I take cortisone daily for the Addison's disease, but do not drink or use drugs.
I am 59 years old and have been taking cortisone since 1971.
Does anyone know if cortisone is destructive to the liver, or can you tell me where I can find information on the internet on what normal enzymes are so I can compare mine.
I have a liver GGT of over 1100 yes 1100 and am worried and would likt to know if there is any thing that will clean this up all other test are o.k. doctor i am going to does not knowwhat is causing this.
I am a very healthy 26 year old male.  I have been taking creatine and whey protein to help me with weight lifting.  I recently gave blood, as I have many times before, and the results came back that my ALT level was 132.  What the heck is up with that.  I also took asprin, cafine, and ephedra in order to shed extra pounds.  Is it possible for the levels to go back down.  Have I killed my liver.  Is there anything that can be done.  I really didn't find any advice on this page other than to say what things to look for.  But what help or hope is there.  If anyone can be of any help please e-mail me   ***@****
I am 26 years old and I applied for life insurance and had the needed blood and urine stuff done. The results came back and they said I had abnormal liver enzymes. What are some cause of this. What is involve with a liver biopsy. In the past 2-5 years, I have seen some wait gain. could this be related? Is this something to be worried about?Please email me at wright71_***@**** with some answers. thanks.
My Daughter who is 5 months has had recent LFT's that have been abnormally high.  Her GGT was 1704, ALB 40, ALP 499, ALT 113 and Billirubin 11.

Ultrasounds show high velocitys of blood travelling through her artery to her liver. (Although they believe this could be totally unrelated!)

It is very worrying, she otherwise appears to be normal - any advice?!

Thanks,
lisa
My daughter just returned from the Dr and he said her Chorlestreol was too high and put her on a diet.  How many mg of chorlestreol should you have per day.  Thank you
My best friend, healthiest lifestyle / 46 years old, thought she was having a gall bladder attack October 1999.  In a routine pre-op x-ray, a spot was found on her liver.  Her billirubin level has stayed at 11 or higher,despite a drain-bag being used.  Doctors say this is extremely rare, and will not use any chemo, surgery or cancer treatments until her billirubin goes below 2!  She continues to lose weight and remain "yellow" while waiting for something to happen.  Can anyone share info / insights on this type of count?
I recently went to my doctor for a sinus infection and while I was there I told him I had been a little tired lately.  I didnt know why I had been tired...if it was stress,depression or just the fact that I have two kids (2 1/2 yr old & 7 month old).  They did some bloodwork to check for thyroid,diabetes etc..My blood work came back with elevated alkaline phosphatase level of 715 and GGT level of 137. I have had an ultrasound, which shows an enlarged left lobe of the liver...I have also had a CT scan which showed a lesion measuring 14cm X 12cm X 7cm.  The radiologist suggested focal nodular hyperplasia, but the gastroenterologist says that there is usually not elevated liver chemistries in focal nodular hyperplasia.  I have recently had alpha-feto protein bloodtest done along with another blood test to check for
tumor marker, but all came back negative.  I then had a Tc 99m sulfur colloid liver spleen scan, which said that the appearance was atypical for focal nodular hyperplasia, but possible adenoma.
I am scheduled for MRI in a few days.  My question is has anyone ever heard of anything like this.  I am worried that it could be cancer and nobody seems to want to tell me anything.  The gastro seems to think it is not cancer, but isnt positive.  Please e-mail response to ***@****.
I am a former Hodgkin's patient who is also a marathon runner.  My most recent blood counts for my periodic follow-up was very good, but they found that my AST was 55 and my ALT was 57, both twice the normal.  Hepititus is unlikely, I'm told, and was also told the possibility of maybe some liver damage from the chemo.  However, my liver enzyme count has nothing to compare to, since it was last checked when I was given chemo more than 2 years ago, and that was high then, but not as high as it is now, I guess.

I am told that more than likely since I am so active that my body is constantly repairing itself, making the liver more active in response.  They found something in the medical journals about exercise and liver enzymes that supports that.  Since September of last year, I have not taken a day off from running and have averaged over 61 miles each of those weeks.  I just got done completing a 24-hour run, with a PR of 93 miles in Eldridge, Iowa in May, and am running some of the fastest times in my life.  So, I don't feel sick (I feel great), and all other tests confirm that I am healthy.  My onclogist doesn't suspect cancer, but had me CAT scanned anyway yesterday, even though the blood work was good.  I have been a runner for almost 18 years.  I am a 33 year old male, non-smoker, non-drinker, and am not currently on any medications, and have no other health related issues other than just having Hodgkin's stage 3B almost 3 years ago.  I was given chemo, then radiation therapy after that.  Everything has been great after that.  Is it possible that those numbers could be my physiological normals being as active as I am?  And if so, is that common with athletes?

***@****
I recently went to the Dr. for a routine physical. They took blood and when they called me back with the results they had told me that my AST WAS 45 and ALT WAS 66.

Can you please let me know what could have cuased this to go up. I am not a drinker, however I do like to have 1 drink a day. I am not a heavy drinker at all.

PLease let me know.

Thank you
Richard
I'm concerned that with all the mention of elevated liver
enzyme levels here, there is no mention of anyone's doctor
checking for hemochromatosis, or iron overload disease, which
is very common (1 in 250 americans, higher incidence for
those of Irish/Scottish/Welsh or Northern European descent)
and potentially fatal, yet easily detected and prevented.

The problem is that doctors often don't think to check for
it and people have never heard about it, even though it is
THE most common genetic disease in the U.S.

One of the early symptoms of this condition are elevated liver
enzyme levels.

What happens is that the iron levels in the body begin to
accumulate and eventually the iron gets stored in major organs
and causes damage, like cirrhosis, liver cancer, heart disease,
diabetes, etc.  

For complete information try the American Hemochromatosis
Society's web page:  www.americanhs.org

Dear Jasen,

Stop taking alcohol, reduce to minimum all medicines, reduce fats and meats, take milk thistle herbal pills, use artichokes often as side salads. Drink loads of water.
A related discussion, hives & audio immune hepatitis was started.