Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Elevated Liver Enzymes

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Elevated Liver Enzymes

In the last month, I have been diagnosed with Gurd (gerd), or Acid Reflux disease. Before having the surgery to dilate the esophogus, I was given some blood tests. The results were low iron and elevated liver enzymes. I have had slightly elevated liver enzymes in the past, but nothing that my regular OB seemed to think warranted further testing. I'm not sure what the numbers were this time, but my Dr. said that they were roughly 8 times the normal. I have had a full hepatitis blood workup and an ultrasound. The bloodwork came back negative for hepatitis and the unltrasound was normal. My doctor is sending me for more bloodwork tomorrow, (not sure what that's for). I do drink, however, I have cut back considerably, after all of this, but I did drink on average of about 3-4 beers per day. Now, I avg. about 8 beers a week, only on weekends. With the hepatitis profile coming back negative and the ultrasound normal, what do you think might be the cause, and does that mean that this might not be alcohol related? I have no problem with quitting all together, I'm just really curious if it is that or could be something else that is causing the elevated enzymes. I am 38 years old and don't have any symptoms to speak of.
There are many causes for elevated liver enzymes.  With a normal ultrasound and hepatitis panel, the next tests would be blood testing for hemochromatosis or Wilson's disease.  I would also ensure that you are not taking any medications which can raise the liver enzymes.  

Drinking alcohol at this stage would be a bad idea if there is no clear cause of the elevated enzymes.  If there continues to be no clear etiology, a liver biopsy should be strongly considered given the levels are 8 times normal.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
1 Comment
depending on what the liver tests actually were, there are several things that might be needed, including liver biopsy or ERCP (an xray of the bile ducts, using a scope down the esophagus into the stomach). And this for sure: if I had abnormal liver tests, and no one knew why, I'd drink absolutely NO alcohol!!!! None.