Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Elevated Liver enzymes

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Elevated Liver enzymes

I had blood tested done on monday and got the results. My AST was 52 and ALT 117.  The previous 2 blood tests had the ALT at 59 and 60. I had a few drinks of alcohol the week before. (7 days before) and was taking tylenol for flu 2 weeks before the blood test. So I am not sure whether this affected the blood test results. Other than that I have had hepatitis A (I think) as a teenager.  I don't know what to think now. Hepatitis tests came  negative. Now my doctor wants me to see a gastroentrologist. What do you think.
Dear Thomas,
Elevated liver tests saimilar to those that you describe can be due to a number of different conditions.  Alcohol use is certainly one cause that must be considered as well as medication-induced hepatotoxicity.  Viral hepatitis, metabolic abnormalities (excessive copper or iron deposition) and autoimmune liver disease are other considerations.  Finally, there is a condition of fatty liver, that can be seen in those who are either overweight or have changed their eating patterns.

The initial investigations are blood tests.  Sometimes a liver biopsy is required for a definite diagnosis.

This information is presented for educational purposes only.  Ask specific questions to your persomnal physician.

HFHSM.D.-rf
Dear Thomas:

I have had the same problem. My AST and ALT were elevated after taking tylenol for a virus. Your Liver Enzymes are very mildly elevated. They are usually much higher with Viral Hepatitus (hepatitis). You mention that you tested negative for Hepatitis. I assume you were tested for all the Hepatitis. You should also be tested for smooth muscle antibodies to check for autoimmune hepatitis. Also be checked for Wilson's disease(excess copper) and Hemachromatosis(excess iron). Go to the Gastroenterologist and have the work up just to be safe. Have your liver enzymes re checked two weeks after stopping the tylenol and alcohol.

-Erik
Thomas,It could have been caused by you drinking alcahol (alcohol) but it could have also been caused by the tylenol.  Have you doctor take the test over again in a few weeks.  If you don't have alcahol (alcohol) or tylenol it might come back normal.  Tylenol caused mine to be elevated one time.  Different medications have that effect.  Also, I hope you know not to take tylenol while you drink or after you drink.  It can cause severe liver damage.
can penicillin cause elevated enzyme levels (liver)
Dear Ilana:

Any medication that is metabolized by the liver can cause elevated liver enzymes. The only way to know for sure is to discontinue the medicine and recheck the liver enzymes in a couple of weeks.

-Erik
Resently I have had the same problem. I had blood tested done on tuesday and got the results. My level was at 114. The previous 2 blood tests had been at 75 and 65. It was going down!  Then between the last blood text and this one I had three shots of wild turkey. I go to the specialist on Dec 3rd to get more testing done.  Good Luck.
  By the way there was no tylenol or hepatitis in my equation.
I also had abnormal LFT's 7/00: ast 81H, alt 40, and LD 250H ap49. I was retested 11/00 and they were all normal. My doctor at the time, 7/00 tested me for cmv (Cytomegalo virus) because i was planning to get pregnant. 90% of the population is cmv+. However if a pregnant woman contracts it during the pregnancy the baby could be born with servere disorders. This is why they perform this test at preconception. I tested positive for active cmv which of course required me to delay conception until i was no longer active and was just left with the immunity. My doctor said that CMV ELEVATES YOUR LIVER ENZYMES, and wanted to retest in a few weeks. Currently i'm not cmv active and my LFT's are normal so i can finally begin conception. God bless you.
Could marijuana usage cause your liver enzymes to elevate?
A year ago on a life insurance blood test I turned up with elevated liver enzymes, GGT 276 and SGPT/ALT 90.  Further testing turned up a ferritin level of 619.  If I were you I would want to check out my iron levels as outlined below.  After a series of phlebotomies my ferritin is down to 12 and GGT to 67 and SGPT/ALT 24  

Hemochromatosis or Iron Overload
What you need to know

I urge everyone to have and know the results of the following tests: Serum Iron (SI) and TIBC (total iron binding capacity) from those two results you can figure out your Percent Saturation = SI/TIBC ( safe range 12-45%) and Serum Ferritin safe range 5-150.  Get copies of your test results and verify for yourself that your levels are ok.  You can be anemic and still store too much iron in your body. The American Hemochromatosis Society (AHS) has a lot of information on the web www.americanhs.org click on AHS Guidelines for an overview or FAQs for longer questions and answers.