Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Elevated Proteins

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Elevated Proteins

Hi doc!  I'm hoping you can give me some advice.  About 15 months ago I went to the dr and blood tests revealed that I had elevated proteins. I had a serum protein electrophoresis test done and the dr just told me I have iron deficiency anemia. This past February I went back to the dr (a different dr because the other one was on vacation) and had mono and oral herpes from kissing my boyfriend who had a cold sore.  Again my proteins were elevated so the dr sent me for a serum protein electrophoresis test.  I had a gum infection and a molar pulled the week before I took that blood test. I am still slightly anemic but have improved from last year due to iron supplements. The problem is that the serum protein test shows abnormalities (as it did the last time) so the dr says she doesn't know what it is, it could be a wide variety of things and I should see a hematologist, she mentioned everything from liver disease to lupus, to she didn't know.  My beta protein was elevated, 1.5 on a scale of .8-1.2 and gamma was elevated, 2.1 on a scale of .7-1.5. I am also pretty obese and was wondering if that would cause the increase.  The problem is that I do not have health insurance and I'm afraid if I go to the hematologist it is going to cost me a fortune in numerous tests and I'm still paying for my other medical bills. I'm wondering if these numbers are elevated due to the anemia, mono, my weight, high cholesterol, etc.. Are these test results alarming enough to see the hematologist or can I get away with diet and exercise and maybe run the serum test again in a few months?  Other than those abnormalities, the rest of my blood tests were fine. Thanks for your help.
Elevation in either proteins is normally due to an infectious, inflammatory or reactive process.  This can include liver disease, connective tissue disease, blood disorders, or chronic infection.  It may be possible that the iron deficiency anemia is related.

As an aside, iron deficiency anemia in adults should have further evaluation.  The GI tract would be a common area of blood loss - leading to the anemia.  A colonoscopy would be a reasonable first evaluation.

Of course, the hematology evaluation would be helpful in further workup.

These options should be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
1 Comment
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have no other symptoms of anything and my liver enzymes which were elevated due to the mono are now back to normal.  Thanks!