Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Elevated Proteins
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Elevated Proteins

Hi doc!  I'm hoping you can give me some advice.  About 15 months ago I went to the dr and blood tests revealed that I had elevated proteins. I had a serum protein electrophoresis test done and the dr just told me I have iron deficiency anemia. This past February I went back to the dr (a different dr because the other one was on vacation) and had mono and oral herpes from kissing my boyfriend who had a cold sore.  Again my proteins were elevated so the dr sent me for a serum protein electrophoresis test.  I had a gum infection and a molar pulled the week before I took that blood test. I am still slightly anemic but have improved from last year due to iron supplements. The problem is that the serum protein test shows abnormalities (as it did the last time) so the dr says she doesn't know what it is, it could be a wide variety of things and I should see a hematologist, she mentioned everything from liver disease to lupus, to she didn't know.  My beta protein was elevated, 1.5 on a scale of .8-1.2 and gamma was elevated, 2.1 on a scale of .7-1.5. I am also pretty obese and was wondering if that would cause the increase.  The problem is that I do not have health insurance and I'm afraid if I go to the hematologist it is going to cost me a fortune in numerous tests and I'm still paying for my other medical bills. I'm wondering if these numbers are elevated due to the anemia, mono, my weight, high cholesterol, etc.. Are these test results alarming enough to see the hematologist or can I get away with diet and exercise and maybe run the serum test again in a few months?  Other than those abnormalities, the rest of my blood tests were fine. Thanks for your help.