Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Elevated SGPT and Exercise Program
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Elevated SGPT and Exercise Program

I am a 30yo white male, 6'1 200 lbs.  From a sample taken on 24 Jan, my SGPT came up high at 58, with SGOT 30, alk phos 73 and total bilirubin .8 (all other blood work normal)

i had been drinking far more regularly than usual since mid-December, with a lot of drinking (for me) during the holidays through January/Feb.

On Feb 10 the doctor showed me the elevated SGPT and suggested it may be alcohol related, so i kind of cut back on the drinking but still drank alot over the weekend of feb 14 to feb 17.  i didn't drink at all from feb 17 to feb 24.

my doctor repeated the SGPT test on Feb 24, and it came back 107! (he didn't run the other liver functions)

we are doing a sonogram of my abdomen to check around (fortunately i have good insurance) and will repeat the liver function tests in 6 weeks and i am TOTALLY abstaining from alcohol during that time.

My question is from the following:  in January I started lifting weights much more regularly (since I gained about 10-15 pounds over the holidays!!!) and I started to cut back my caloric intake.  After initially breaking in my muscles to lifting weights more regularly again, I took things up into much higher intensity, cut back my calories a lot more and did more regular cardio (swimming for 20 minutes nonstop freestyle (crawl) as well as 10-15 minute of cardio machine before every workout).  I just started to slim down and took my cardio up even more to where i do 30 minutes of cardio BEFORE doing a weightlifting workout (either back/bicepts, chest/triceps, legs(squats), shoulders) day in succession, sometimes with a day or two off inbetween.  It looks like i'm burning the fat off, while my pectoral, back and leg muscles are visibly growing from the weight lifting...in short, the exercise program seems to be working.

I have seen some stray reports of burning fat through exercise as possibly a cause of elevated liver enzymes.  Could this also be the case here?  (and it could explain the jump in SGPT but i was still drinking in between tests)  Thanks.