Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Elevated liver enzymes

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Elevated liver enzymes

Last year I was diagnosed with Diroticulosis. I had the colonoscopy and there were some polups and I did have an infection. I was medicated and it subsided. I have had other attacks and always assume it is a flare up . I usually have the  pain in my lower intestine. I just had my yearly check up and my liver enzymes were 33/31 a year ago and now 131/82, Iwas retested 2 weeks later and now they are 165/83. I started to think of any symptons and I am worried that every time I had a weird stomach episode ,I assumed it was my diriculosis. The other night I had extreme upper stomach pain. It was below my rib cage,on top of my stomach the pain arced around the whole top.It was a 4 hour episode.I have had pain before but not so high.The pain was much more sharper.I had hints of nausea,no diarhea (diarrhea).......4 hour laters the pain subsided.I am having a hepatitis profile and checking my amylase and lipase today. My Dr. is thinking about an upper G.I. series.Do you have any suggestions? Does this sound like pancreatitis?????????
Many things can cause the symptoms you describe, including pancreatitis.  These include GERD, ulcers, inflammation of the upper digestive tract, as well as liver/gallbladder disease.  The upper GI series is a good idea, as well as an abdominal ultrasound (if the pain is on the right side), or CT scan.  I agree with the hepatitis profile.  The amylase and lipase would help evaluate for pancreatitis.

If the upper GI series is not revealing, an upper endoscopy can be considered.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Sorry to hijack your question, but the forum MD will still answer you shortly.

Surgeon--are you aware the ovarian cancer forum has reopened as pt. to pt. support?  There are lots of questions there, and we miss your wisdom and insight.  If you could find the time to wander over occasionally it would be very helpful to some very worried people.
I've actually never wandered over into the ovarian cancer forum; gynecology is not in my zone of expertise. Sorry.

As to the question regarding abdominal pain and liver enzymes: it's very unlikely related to diverticulitis. The combination of upper abdominal pain and elevated liver enzymes raises the possibility of gallstone problems.
A related discussion, intestinal polups was started.
A related discussion, upper abdominal pain with elevated liver enzymes was started.