Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Elevated liver enzymes

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Elevated liver enzymes

Last week, my Dr. found elevated liver enzymes.  We retested on 4-29, they were still elevated and retested today.  What could my Dr. possible be concerned about?
What kind of tests did he order? I had elevated liver enzymes also, had to go back for more blood tests. Ordered a hep panal test. Mine was elevated because of HBV but I think there are many things that can elevate the enzymes, need to find out more info.
When a doctor finds elevated liver enzymes, he/she should ask you for a list of any drugs you've taken (including over-the counter medications, herbs....ANYTHING you've taken).  The reason for this is---many medications raise liver enzymes.
He/she should also ask you about alcohol (when was the last time you had any...how much you drink (including any cough or cold remedies you might have taken, containing alcohol).  The reason for this is---alcohol raises liver enzymes.

After figuring out what medications or alcohol you've had----the next thing a doctor should do, is re-test your enzymes. (This is just in case it was a temporary thing....our a lab problem.)

If your liver enzymes are still elevated, and medications/alcohol have been ruled out as the cause---the next thing your doctor should do is hepatitis blood tests  (example: blood tests to rule out hepatitis virus, autoimmune hepatitis, hemochromatosis etc.)

hope this helps.
I used to have the same problem. In fact my Dr. had more than once told me to stop drinking when in fact I never did.  I then tried Milk Thistle from GNC and voila, after 30 days of taking same, my liver is normal.
My liver enzymes came back high.  AST 265 ALT 273. I drink three or four drinks per day.  Is that why?  Should I quit.
I only had a few drinks and it made my liver enzymes go back up.  Doctor still doen't know what is causing mine to be elevated.  Hep tests are all okay.  My father who was an alcoholic all his life died from a fatty liver so yes you should stop drinking before the damage is irrepairable.  I don't mean to scare you but you need a healthy liver so take care of it.  I have sworn off all alcohol and I only have the equivelant of two bottles 750 ml a year and it caused a problem for me.
I too have high liver enzymes and have been through two blood tests, sonogram, CT scan, MRI and a biopsy.  With all those tests, I have no diagnosis. I have 5 liver "lesions", non-cancerous, but unknown.  Medicine could raise your liver enzymes as well as liver cysts, heamangiomas (cluster of blood vessels), or tumors. The reason to watch and test elevated enzymes is to discover cancer, hepatitis or a parasite.
A related discussion, liver enzyemes was started.