Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Esopageal Ulcers

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Esopageal Ulcers

I have been diagnosed with apthous ulcers in my esophagus.  Dr. treated me with 40mg Prednisone.  Once the dose was lowered (about 20mg)the ulcers returned.  I have gone through 2 rounds of Prednisone and been treated with Prevacid.  I am now off of Prevacid because the Dr. does not belive it is helping and off of Prednisone because it is obviously not curing the problem.  

My question is...While I am getting more tests how can I treat the pain associated with the ulcers.  Swallowing is extremely uncomfortable and I have a dull pain in my throat and chest at all times (worse as the day progresses).  My Dr. has offered a Prednisone shot but I'm wondering if this is my only option?
Did your doctor tell you the cause of your ulcers? Do you have GERD (Esophageal Reflux)where the stomach acids come up through a weakened lower esophageal sphincter and irritate the esophagus. There are other medications for GERD other than Prevacid.  Prednisone will help heal the ulcers because it is an anti inflamatory mdication but it will not stop the GERD if that's what you have.
The dr. does not think this particular type of ulcer is related to acid reflux.  He is testing for Crohn's or another IBD at this point.  I am really interested in how to control the pain from the ulcers while the testing is going on.
There are pain patches (applied to the skin) but they are prescription narcotics and may be too strong for you. Also some pain meds (prescription and over the counter) come in liquid form if that wouod be less painful to swallow. Check with your doctor before using any otc meds.