Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Excessive gas

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Excessive gas

Recently I have been having way too much gas.  Both burping and farting.  Its become pretty bad to the point where I wake up at night to burp and/or fart.

The burps are horrible smelling (sometimes worse then the farts).  I could just burp all day long, it seems.

This all started about the last time a certain fast food chain had that e-coli outbreak... and I had been eating there around that time.  Granted, it's been about 3 months... first the aweful burps started slowly... and now more and more followed by excessive farting.

Could this be some kind of mild e-coli?  Parasite?  Lactose intolerance?

There is no stomach pain or pressure or anything like that... unless I try to hold the gas in... thats somewhat uncomfortable.

I tried gas-x, but that doesnt seem to help.

Any idea what it is?  How I can make it stop?

Thanks!
Many reasons for excessive gas.  Gastroenteritis, malabsorption, celiac disease, and irritable bowel disease are all possible causes.

Testing the stool for infection and malabsorption can be considered.  Blood tests looking for celiac disease can also be discussed.

An upper GI series ruling out an ulcer or inflammation of the upper digestive tract can be done.

If the tests remain negative, irritable bowel disease can be treated.  Antispasmodic agents and increasing the fiber in the diet can be considered as initial treatment.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
1 Comment
I live in England, but just talked to my American buddy in Florida tonight - her hubby has stage IV lung cancer, but doing well, after some 7 years - he is an enigma.  We talked about foods we like to cook and diets and she said her husband won't eat salads anymore because of the e-coli problems with lettuce in the US.  What? I have just got my over-weight husband onto salads, and he is loving them. I have Crohn's and breast cancer and try to eat a high protein diet,but know I need salads as veggies are diffiicult to absorb. Does make you wonder what we should eat. By the way my husband has such excessive gas, I am thankful I had a stroke some 2 years ato and now have no sense of smell ( or taste). It is an ill wind that blows nobody any good.
A related discussion, GAS was started.