DIGESTIVE DISORDERS / GASTROENTEROLOGY
FORUM
Excessive sweating from the anus
by Capo123, Nov 13, 2007
I have a question regarding excessive sweat from the anus.

Generally I sweat quite easily if the temperature is hot or I have been involved in sport but this has not been a problem or embarrassing.

This Year however I have noticed that I sweat a lot around the anus even if it Isn't really hot. I have to make more frequent trips to the bathroom just to use paper to dry the situation up for a while.

Now the weather has turned colder this shouldn't be such an issue but it has made no difference.

I have just turned 38 (male) am not too over weight and have general fitness. My stools are nothing out of the ordinary.

Could this be a symptom of something or is there a way to resolve this issue?

Answer:
by Kevin Pho, MDBlank, Nov 13, 2007
I am not aware of a specific disease that would lead to excessive sweating from the rectal sweat glands.

Endocrine diseases like thyroid dysfunction can be checked for via appropriate blood tests.  I would also exclude diabetes from the possible causes.  

If the symptoms worsen, a sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy can be considered to further evaluate the colon for any masses or polyps that may be present.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
Member Comments (2)
by Capo123, Nov 14, 2007
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the advice, I will follow this up. I am due to have a medical in the coming months and can bring it up then.