Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Exteme burning in anus

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Exteme burning in anus

I am a married male, 46 yrs old. About 6 months ago I began experiencing a burning sensation in my anus on having a bowel motion. The pain would or burning would persist for hours graduallly radiating to my scrotum and also to the shaft of my penis. These symptoms were investigated by a urologist and a general surgeon. As a result of these investigations I had a benign polyp removed from my colon and also diagnosed a having kidney stones in my right kidney. These I have been told will be blasted.

The urologist says that he thinks I have prostatis, while the general surgeon says that my anal canal is inflammed and possibly have a touch of proctitis.

In the meantime I continue to have the "extreme burning" in my anus which I find debilitating. I have  been given no medicine to help relieve this burning. I do not have this all of the time but probably about 4-5 days of each month.

Over the last episode I noticed the following. When I have a bowel motion, I feel that I have not evacuated completely or that there is some stool is still in my rectum of anal canal. At this stage I do not have discomfort and my stool looks very normal and healthy. However,about 20 minutes later I start to feel irritation in my rectum or anal canal. I return to the bathroom and have a second bowel motion which is full of "sputtering and gas" and small clumps of stool come out. Within minutes the burning is intense. I notice that there is lots of undigested food in these fore or five clumps of stool. To relieve the pain I apply Vaseline to my anal canal and ,within minutes, I feel relief and the buring sensation almost disappears. Also the burning does not radiate to my scrotum or penis. For this reason I do not believe that I have prostatis. I have requested of my physician to send to a Gastroenterologist which he is doing.

I would be most grateful if you could opine on these symptoms with any suggestion how to manage the extreme burning that I feel.

Many thanks,

This appears to be a repeat of the question above.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
1 Comment
I also have this problem and it has cause me to miss work as it gives me a burning smell.  or sometimes worse, a fecal burning smell.

Can you please answer the question posted above, if it is a repeat, I don' t see the first answer.