Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Exteme burning in anus

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Exteme burning in anus

I am a married male, 46 yrs old. About 6 months ago I began experiencing a burning sensation in my anus on having a bowel motion. The pain would or burning would persist for hours graduallly radiating to my scrotum and also to the shaft of my penis. These symptoms were investigated by a urologist and a general surgeon. As a result of these investigations I had a benign polyp removed from my colon and also diagnosed a having kidney stones in my right kidney. These I have been told will be blasted.

The urologist says that he thinks I have prostatis, while the general surgeon says that my anal canal is inflammed and possibly have a touch of proctitis.

In the meantime I continue to have the "extreme burning" in my anus which I find debilitating. I have  been given no medicine to help relieve this burning. I do not have this all of the time but probably about 4-5 days of each month.

Over the last episode I noticed the following. When I have a bowel motion, I feel that I have not evacuated completely or that there is some stool is still in my rectum of anal canal. At this stage I do not have discomfort and my stool looks very normal and healthy. However,about 20 minutes later I start to feel irritation in my rectum or anal canal. I return to the bathroom and have a second bowel motion which is full of "sputtering and gas" and small clumps of stool come out. Within minutes the burning is intense. I notice that there is lots of undigested food in these fore or five clumps of stool. To relieve the pain I apply Vaseline to my anal canal and ,within minutes, I feel relief and the buring sensation almost disappears. Also the burning does not radiate to my scrotum or penis. For this reason I do not believe that I have prostatis. I have requested of my physician to send to a Gastroenterologist which he is doing.

I would be most grateful if you could opine on these symptoms with any suggestion how to manage the extreme burning that I feel.

Many thanks,

An anal fissure is a definite possibility.  Hemorrhoids are another cause.  

With anal fissures, affected patients describe a tearing pain with the passage of bowel movements. The passage of stool may be accompanied by bright rectal bleeding usually limited to a small amount on the toilet paper or on the surface of stool. Some patients complain of an itch or perianal skin irritation.

Diagnosis can be made with a physical exam - a referral to a gastroenterologist or colorectal surgeon would be the most reasonable next options.  

There are a variety of treatments, including topical nitroglycerin, calcium channel blockers, stool softeners, Sitz baths, botulinum toxin injections and surgery.  

The initial treatment of fissures includes one month of bulk fiber supplements, stool softeners, nitroglycerin ointment and Sitz baths.  If the symptoms continue, more specialized therapy can be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
you may  need to drink lots of water   i have that some times drinking water help me  mite not help you bot dose me  try  that and see if it helps hope so  do you drink lots of drinks  that could be what it is
if you were a woman entering menopause,i would say you need hormone replacement,but then you are not a woman.
but you said applying vaseline helps.
you need an exam of your colon area
the symptoms suggest an anal fissure, which is usually neither hard to diagnose nor to treat. It might be that a colorectal surgeon specialist would be worth seeing. Or a return to the general surgeon.