Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Father-in-Law to Have Colonectomy.....questions

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

My husband's father is a 72-yr-old amputee (radical left leg w/partial pelvis removed).  After suffering a severe bacterial infection which originated in his colon and moved to his brain, he has nearly recovered.  Doctors are indicating after results of colonoscopy that severe diverticuli and polyps, as well as other damage require a full colonoscopy.  They are indicating that his small intestine can be connected to his rectum, and there will be no need for a colostomy.  Anyone have experience with this type of surgery?  Need a little help...this is a new area for my family.
Thanks in advance.
Pam
sorry to bump...but I really need some help
I am no doctor, but I may be able to answer a couple of your concerns.
I have a colostomy due to a ruptured bowel and emergency surgery.
The reason for the colostomy was that I was very sick and the bowel needed to rest before reconnection.
In your father in laws case, since there is no indication of cancer, only the portion of the colon with the polyps will have to be removed and he should be able to be reconnected immediately.
From what I understand, the lower part of the bowel is where the stool becomes firmer so depending upon how much of his colon he loses, he may experience looser stools and visit the washroom more frequently. The doctors may suggest some foods to avoid, but I have spoken to many who have had this type of surgery and live very normal lives.
If you have concerns, you really should bring them up with the doctor and get the answers you need.
I hope this helps.
Nan