Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Feeling like throwing up, excessive burping

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

recently I am experiencing the following symptoms:
+ excessive burping:
  most of the time tasteless, but when I am swallowing I
  feel that my throut burns (acid?) and sometimes it feels
  as if there is something in my throat.
  My stomach feels very hard after some time and makes noises.
+ feeling like throwing up:
  it only lasts for a split-second, but comes and goes without
  warning, sort like a reflex. I actually never had to throw
  up.

The symptoms occur under stress and when I am eating
or drinking in public (stress?, maybe caused through "negative
feedback", sort of self-fullfilling-prophecy).

It really makes my live hell right now, because I cannot go out
and relax, as I am always thinking I might throw up. Food does
not taste anymore in a restaurant, most of the times I finish
half-way through.

Any idea?

-1 Comments
Hey..
I'm definitely not a doctor or anything but maybe you have like Acid Reflux or something.. especially with the burping and burning in your throat.  My stomach feels really hard at times too and it makes weird noises.  It's got me paranoid now.. I'm afraid to go to places that are too quiet in case it does make that weird growling noise.. that's not a normal stomach growl. I probably didn't help any. Just see your doc!
I have the EXACT same symptoms along with constant nausea.  I have been dealing with this for a few years and was told I have acid reflux and put on Aciphex.  It did not work.  Finally, after seeing my bone-headed doctor several times and getting nowhere, I changed doctors this week because the nausea keeps me up at night.  My doctor did a blood workup and said it sounds like either my gallbladder or I'm allergic to whey (a by-product of milk).  It could also be anything else.  Well, yesterday she called with the bloodwork results and my calcium and bilirubin are way out of range and when I did research on these results it seems to lead to the liver/gallbladder.  I have an abdominal ultrasound scheduled for a week from today.  I would suggest you getting some bloodwork done if you can and an abdominal ultrasound.  I KNOW how you feel.  It is taking over my life.  Feel free to email me if you want to discuss.

Kim
I started having 'seizures' of painful burping till I vomit on Easter Sunday 1998. This condition happens randomly, and is not affected by anything eaten. (Do you also have a slight feeling of 'pressure' in you upper back or chest?) The burping is quite violent. Thickness in the throat. After years of every digestive test know to the medical establishment, an MRI revealed a herniation at C4-5 disk. After Steriod shot to my spinal nerve. (which helped considerably, but only temporarily) and consultations with numerous doctors and serious damage to my wallet. I have recently been diagnosed as follows:

The herniation is aggravating the Prenal nerve which controls your body's autonomic functions (breathing, heartbeat, digestion) and causing it to spasm. Currently I am taking Neurontin and appears to be working. I still have the constant feeling of pressure in my diaphragm, but the neurontin so far seems to be controlling the seizures of burping. It may take a little while to get the dosage right, but, for the first time in 2 and a half years, I am hopeful and feeling better. Neuronton makes me hungry and a bit dopey, but the doctor assures me that after a few weeks, I will adapt to this and these side affects will lessen or go away. I hope so.  But this condition is so rare, it is really hard to find help.  Please see your doctor about this possible resolution. - Diana
To cause excessive burping I have found is a lot of trapped air and fluid in the stomach.  Also with delayed food emptying - get checked for this  called Gastroparesis.  The worse my Gastroparesis is the worse my stomach noises and burping are and nausea...
A related discussion, belching, etc was started.
A related discussion, Excessive burping and hiccups was started.