Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Feeling of lump in throat

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Feeling of lump in throat

I've been reading and educating myself on esophagal irritations. For 4 solid months I have felt a sensation of something stuck in my throat. It does not cause me breathing problems and I know that nothing is there. It acts up/worsens when there is pressure on my chest or abdomen.   Is this a health risk?  What might cause this? Should I ask my Dr. for a specific test?  Will this possibly come and go all my life?  Thank you so much!
____________
dear Jk, the symptoms that you describe are probably not serious assuming that you do not have any of the alarm symptoms ( weight loss, vomiting).  The differential diagnosis includes !0 abnormal perception of normal physiologic function, 2) esophageal spasm and 3) esophageal reflux.
If you want a single specific test, consider a cineesophagram, a movie of esophageal function.  Therapy ill depend on the characterization of the specific cause.
This information is presented for educatioanl purposes.  Always ask specificmedical questions to your personal physician.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: esophageal soasm
0.2