Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Fiber visible in stool.....increase or decrease metamucil....... const...

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Fiber visible in stool.....increase or decrease metamucil....... constipation

Hi, I hope someone can give me some info on my problem.Before I had my two kids, I had irritable bowel syndrome, with sometimes severe diarhea (diarrhea)(sp?). Now, I have the complete opposite. I think the constipation started with the iron pills the doctor wanted me on after the birth of my first child in '99. I tore while having a bowel movement and the ever delightful anal fissures came about. After stopping the iron pills, all was well. I got pregnant in July last year and started prenatals, which constipated me pretty bad. I had trouble off and on during my entire pregnancy. I was again put on iron pills after delivery. They intensified the constipation and until I learned about mineral oil enemas, was in agony to the extreme. I recently started taking metamucil three times a day, drink 10 glasses of water a day, and eat vegetables at every meal. Last week, however, it took metamucil, milk of magnesia, orange juice, salad, and peri-colace to push things out and a mineral oil enema to ease what was in there out. I didn't go at all the next day, but Saturday went just a little. No go on Sunday, but monday was right back to constipation. All week I have struggled and three times have had the agony of irritated anal fissures. My stool is soft and stringy. I can see the metamucil fiber in it. I have an appt w/a gastroenterologist in a month, but was wondering if I should increase my fiber. I really need my stools to be almost liquedy in order to pass them comfortably. I really need some info. Sorry so long, just needed to explain in as much detail as possible. Thanks!
use almond oil in some milk or tea for a period of time.it is a very good remedy to remove the dryness of intestine and causing the stool to pass easily.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I've found the trick. I eat 5 dried plums in the morning and about an hour later I can have a bowel movement. I do the same thing in the evening and it's a go!!! I still drink plenty of water and try to eat veggies. I still think things need to move along a little faster, so I'm going to start taking Fiberblend. A lady at work who is into the all natural herbal thing has been taken it before and it is a real colon cleanser. She said that stuff she could never have imagined came out of her after using the Fiberblend. Best to luck with all w/IBS and constipation. It's a real pain! I think with the ease with which I go to the bathroom now is really going to let me fissures heal, and I'm so happy. I am now in a good mood most of the time. There are moments where I actually feel good! My kids are noticing a difference in me. Well, just wanted to update the comment from 313. Thanks!