Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Fiber visible in stool.....increase or decrease metamucil....... const...
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Fiber visible in stool.....increase or decrease metamucil....... constipation

Hi, I hope someone can give me some info on my problem.Before I had my two kids, I had irritable bowel syndrome, with sometimes severe diarhea (diarrhea)(sp?). Now, I have the complete opposite. I think the constipation started with the iron pills the doctor wanted me on after the birth of my first child in '99. I tore while having a bowel movement and the ever delightful anal fissures came about. After stopping the iron pills, all was well. I got pregnant in July last year and started prenatals, which constipated me pretty bad. I had trouble off and on during my entire pregnancy. I was again put on iron pills after delivery. They intensified the constipation and until I learned about mineral oil enemas, was in agony to the extreme. I recently started taking metamucil three times a day, drink 10 glasses of water a day, and eat vegetables at every meal. Last week, however, it took metamucil, milk of magnesia, orange juice, salad, and peri-colace to push things out and a mineral oil enema to ease what was in there out. I didn't go at all the next day, but Saturday went just a little. No go on Sunday, but monday was right back to constipation. All week I have struggled and three times have had the agony of irritated anal fissures. My stool is soft and stringy. I can see the metamucil fiber in it. I have an appt w/a gastroenterologist in a month, but was wondering if I should increase my fiber. I really need my stools to be almost liquedy in order to pass them comfortably. I really need some info. Sorry so long, just needed to explain in as much detail as possible. Thanks!