Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Financial assitance with Liver Transplant

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Hello everyone,
  I have a brother who is in desperate need of a liver transplant. The problem is not the wait for a liver donor, but the fact that he has no health insurance to cover for the care or the transplant. Actually, he has health insurance but it only covers if the transplant is performed in Australia. He's an Australian citizen. But, the docotors in Australis refuse to perform a transplant because they claim that he is too weak to go through the liver transplant. So, as a final hope, he decided to turn to the doctors in the U.S. To make the long story short, a liver specialist in the U.S. is ready to perform the transplant when a liver donor is found. However, they require a $100,000 deposit in order to start the process. They say that it will total $200,000 for the entire process. The only problem is, I don't have $100,000 to put down. I've applied for loans but I've been turned down since I don't have anything that values $100,000. Are there any organizations that help people in this delima. Or maybe a place that will offer financial assistance. I've thought of running a fund raiser, but I have no idea how to get one started.
  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
  Thank you.

_
Dear Tony:
I am extremely sympathetic to your situation.  I can