Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Flagyl or substitute

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Flagyl or substitute

Several years ago I took Flagyl for 10 days and my stools were dramatically more "normal" than they had been for 20 years. After I stopped the medication I returned to having frequent diaherra (diarrhea) (4-5 days per week). I'm wondering what this might mean and if there is some non-prescription alternative to flagyl.

Thanks.
I don't think there's a non-prescription version of flagyl, but I know when I was taking it a few years ago they were prescribing Pepto-Bismol in conjunction with it. Have you tried the Pepto?
Yes. Pepto does help, but is it good to take it every day?
I'm no doctor, but I doubt it would kill you to take Pepto every day for awhile. There is a reason the flagyl worked, and maybe you just never fully eradicated some bug that it was helping you get rid of (-?). Did they tell you what the flagyl was for? Maybe you should try it one more time, only don't stop the Pepto when the flagyl is done. But that's something to discuss with your doc. Good luck.