Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Flat stool?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Flat stool?

I have noticed that my stool is somewhat "flattened". Not thin strips or ribbons, but definitely not round.  Is this something to be concerned about?  I do have a bad case of internal hemerroids that were causing some bleeding, but are currently not enflamed or bleeding.
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

A change in stool shape or caliber can be the result of a mass that is affecting the lumen of the bowel.  This should definitely be raised with your personal physician and an endoscopy (preferably a colonoscopy) performed to make sure it isn't a mass changing the shape of your stool.

I strongly suggest following up with your personal physician.

I stress that this answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
I have read that Irritable Bowel Syndrome can flatten your stool due to the colon spasms.

My stool is also flattened, more like oval shape.

On a side note.. my friend who lives with me coincidently SHOWED me, after me voicing of my irregular stool shape, that HIS stool was flattened.. but also soft looking.

Please docs, tell us that IBS can cause this too..
I am no doctor but i have done alot of research on colon can ect. because of my strong family history. Yes, this can be a symptom but there are several other things that it could be if you do some research. I think it is wise to follow up with your doctor as colon cancer is VERY curable if caught early but do not cause yourself undo worry about something that could be nothing. I think the doc came across a little strong when not listing other possibilities and pretty much "lableing it as a mass". Danielle
one other condition could be a cause is a kink in your bowel or as sometimes refered to as a twisted bowel wich can be corrected ask your gastro doc. to do a colonoccopy, it could very well be something simple but it always good to rule out more serious digestive probs and the colonoscopy(scope) is the best test because it does not just cover the sigmoid colon it can cover the complete lower digestive system .a lot of times if you have a good gastro that isn't afarid of ofending the insurance co.s he will recomend a upper sope at the same time so the patient doesn't have to go through two preps or any more discomfort than needed .  as was already said  there is no reason to become fearful because most digestive probs can be corrected if they are caught in time (even cancer).i have had colon surgery and many other digestive surgeries so i am speaking from first hand. just relax and be active in your medical care. sometimes to get results from your doctors you have to be a little pushy when it comes to getting test schedualed , do your research as you are now, the more knowledge you gather the better off you become . stay strong ,god bless. wishing you well
I am having ribbon stool that for the past 2 yrs is very loose in the past 9 month I have 4-10 bowel movements a day.  I'm not losing weight but am very bloated I have been very tired and feeling like I have to flu for months now.  I have very fast and sharp pains every once and a while throught the middle of my middrift..I  have an appointment with a gastro in May for my upset stomach that I have had for 8 months but should I try to get in sooner or just wait?
A related discussion, flat stool was started.
A related discussion, Alli-diet pill-sever stomach pain was started.
A related discussion, stool shape was started.
A related discussion, Stool change was started.
I am having some loose stools now for a month and them sometimes some stool that r hard to push out I have to go the doc the 20 of january but I am scard. Sometimes my stool comes flat then sometimes normal I am also farting all the time. No belly pain no blood but I am scared can someone help me