Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Flushed face

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Flushed face

I have many digestive problems, but lately I have been experiencing flushing in my face, mostly every afternoon.

It seems to come on after lunch and stay there for several hours.

I get a dull ache in my upper right abdomen.  I have had so many tests run on me it is unreal.

From time to time I get this yellow oily watery bowel.

I get lightheaded and sometimes shaky.

I could write all day long with all of the problems that I am having.

Mostly concerned now if anyone else has problems with the red face.
I can say that it makes my cheeks visibly red.
It sounds like you may be describing roscea. Do you notice the flushing right after you eat certain foods (dairy, alcohol, spicy)? Do you notice it after you're active? Some people's faces start by flushing when embarrassed. It's a common skin condition in people over 30. Once you find the cause you can eliminate this food/drink or activity. You should see a dermatologist, she/he can prescribe pills/topical creams to take care of the redness. Good Luck.
Hi My name is Mary. I noticed that you didn't mention any medications. I take Niaspan, that sometimes caused a flushed face and neck, itching and a rashy feeling. If I am careful about drinking water and not a hot drink around my dosage time, I don't get it. Could what you are discribing be due to a drug reaction?
Do you experience the flushing also after you consume alcoholic drinks?  Do you have chronic diarrhea, heart palpatations, or any wheezing?  There is another condition that my doctor had me checked for because I too had chronic facial flushing that would be brought on by eating, and drinking alcohol.  Also, I had chronic diarrhea at the same time I noticed with the flushing.  It is called Carcinoid Syndrome.  The syndrome is brought on by substances released in the system from a carcinoid tumor somewhere withing the body-usually the gastrotract, but can be in other organs(pancreas,lungs,etc.)  One test is a 24 hour urine to test for amount of seretonin in the urine.  This is one diagnostic aid in finding these tumors.  Don't be alarmed, this condition is not very common, some say rare.  It wouldn't hurt to ask your doctor.  This type of tumor grows very slow and is sometimes very hard to find even with MRIs and such until years have past and it finally shows it self.  Hope you find the problem, and you begin to feel better.
A related discussion, Colitis and Red face was started.