DIGESTIVE DISORDERS / GASTROENTEROLOGY
FORUM
Food to avoid with elevated liver enzymes?
by Joyce__0, Aug 05, 1998
  My husband has elevated liver enzymes.  Are there certain foods which are best avoided?  Specifically, does coffee, tea and caffeine colas make the condition worse?  Is it o.k. for him to take keflex (or penicillin) he was recently prescribed an antibiotic but is hesitant to take for fear of elevating his liver enzymes.  He has also given up coffee and all caffeine containing beverages.  Thank you very much in advance for your response.  Joyce
Dear Joyce,
The most important food/drug to avoid in patients with elevated liver enzymes is alcohol in all forms. Weight reduction is also recommended (if applicable) because high fat diets can be stressful to the liver and cause injury. Many Chinese herbal preparations have been found to be extremely hepatotoxic and should be avoided as well as high doses of vitamin A and high doses of acetaminophen (Tylenol) especially if taken with alcohol. Sedatives and all unnecessary medications should be avoided. However, a short course of antibiotics can usually be taken without incident as clinically warranted. Obviously, it depends on the type of antibiotic prescribed. For example, erythromycin, more commonly causes liver injury than cephalexin (Keflex). I am unaware of any definitive evidence that proves that caffeine is toxic to the liver. I hope you find this information helpful.
This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation. Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.
If you would like to be seen at our institution please call 1-800-653-6568, our Referring Physicians
by PAT732, Aug 29, 2009
A related discussion, elevated liver enzymes was started.
by Toshu, Oct 03, 2011
A related discussion, food for liver enzyme patiant was started.