Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Foods HIGH in GLUTEN?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Foods HIGH in GLUTEN?

Can anyone shed some light on foods that are HIGH in Gluten so I can know what to stay away from.  Also if you know some alternatives to these as well...Thanks so much.  

DJ
Many pre-packaged foods contain gluten. If you are trying to avoid gluten you need to look besides the obvious Wheat,Rye and Barley. Look for terms such as Natural Flavorings, Modified Food Starch,Hydrolyzed or Textured Plant or Vegetable Proteins (HPP, TVP, HVP), Malt Flavorings and oters. These products usually contain gluten. You need to check with the manufacturer regarding the source of each. Oats do not contain gluten however most (if not all) are contaminated in processing. go to www.glutenfreeinwny.com and click on the gf foods page for links to foods that do not contain gluten.

Mike
Dear DJ,

I agree 100% with Mike! Follow up on his good advice!

Gluten is found in wheat, rye, oats, barley, and buckwheat. And Mike is right about "hidden" gluten, found in many packaged foods & beverages. For example, avoid "grain alcohols", even with vanilla extract, etc., because the "grain" may have gluten in it. This includes rye whiskey, etc. Grape alcohol may be safe. Beer is not safe, because hops come from barley (has gluten) in it.

You might also want to speak with JCC, over at http://www.braintalk.org in the Peripheral Neuropathy forum, because JCC knows a lot about Celiac Disease (a gluten intolerance), etc.

JCC has many good links for you! I'll bump up some of those "threads" for you.

You can also type "Celiac Disease" into the address bar of a good search engine, and you will find MANY websites, including patient forums, to help give you good ideas about a yummy, nutritious, interesting GLUTEN-FREE DIET! :-)

We have a friend with Celiac Disease, and he is not "deprived". He substitutes ORGANIC BROWN RICE and corn (if tolerated by you, go for it!) for glutenous grains. Rice is less "allergenic" than corn. Some Celiac patients tolerate millet. Some don't.

There are even cookbooks at bookstores & health food stores that will give you many ideas. Non-grain veggies have no gluten. Fruits (non-grains) have no gluten. Meat, fish, fowl, beans, and seeds (non-grains) are gluten-free.

I saw a recipe for a potato flour & soy flour bread (gluten-free) in one of these cookbooks. Some health food stores sell gluten-free brown rice breads.

Large, good health food stores will carry gluten-free foods. One company, "Tinkyada", is a gluten-free company, and carries delicious ORGANIC BROWN RICE PASTAS of all sorts! Their pastas are available at good health food stores.

So follow Mike's advice, check with JCC, look up Celiac Disease forums, ask your doc about a local Celiac Disease group in your area, and go to a good health food store! Good luck to you.

Sincerely,
Concerned lady
http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com
Thanks Concerned Lady...   :)  The best cookbooks in my opinion are by Bette Hagman  The Gluten Free Gourmet.  She has many and are very good. They include many tips and well researched flour mixes.  
I would highly recommend finding a support group near you and asking which Gastroenterologists are familiar with CD, Testing and Follow-up care. This is very important because a non familiar physician and pathologist may misdiagnose.
There are recent studies showing that vinegar (except malted), and many alcohols are safe because the gluten protein is to large to transfer over in the distallation process. Alcohols which are malted, blended or have anything added to them need to be avoided unless the manufacturer can verify there is no gluten in them. The diet is not that difficult but food sources can be. That is why the support groups are needed. The way you feel once starting the diet is well worth doing. If this is what you have you will begin to see results in approximately 1 week as long as you follow the diet.

you can email me directly through my website.

Good Luck
Mike
What test conclusively showed your problem was Gluten and or Celiac disease ?
I am waiting for the blood test to return and trying DGL again instead of Pepcid. Want to heal not prolong if possible .
A related discussion, Ulcerative Colitis was started.