Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Full feeling, test questions

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Full feeling, test questions

I appreciate your forum and reading some prior answers has been useful. I am writing for your opinion and I have a few questions. First, I am a 25 yo male, no major health problems. I have always had a well rounded diet with pretty much fiber. I exercise 3-4 times a wk, although I have had periods for several wks where I have been too busy to exercise. When I was 15, I had some extreme stomach pains with and without going to the bathroom. I eventually went to a gastro. A colonoscopy was done and did not show anything. They diagnosed me with IBS. As I improved my diet and quit worrying about it, it did not bother me very often unless I was stressed, or occasionally with a stomach virus. For the last several months, I have had this really full feeling in my stomach, not like i am not hungry, but like my stomach is tense. I have a dull cramping feeling under my bellybutton on both sides and in the middle, often radiating into my hip area. Bowel habits have been pretty regular until a couple of days ago  when I have just been going a small amount, somewhat smaller caliber. There is no history of colon cancer in my family other than my dads grandma. My dad had some polyps removed when he turned 53 or so. My doctor did a digit exam and a quick test for blood and did not find anything. All info I find seems to indicate cancer is rare, but the symptoms still worry me.

-What is your opinion on the symptoms?

-Is it possible for cancer to develop within 10 yrs of a colonoscopy that did not show anything?

-I know colon cancer is not common among young people, but I wonderred if it typically stems from polyps in young people as in older people?

Thank you
To answer your questions:
1) IBS is possible.  You can also consider more uncommon disorders like gastroparesis or motility disorders.  A gastric emptying scan or motility studies can be considered.

2) It is indeed possible, but uncommon, for cancer to develop within 10 years of a colonoscopy.

3) Colon cancer typically stems from polyps - although uncommon it can present in younger people as well.

These questions can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I do think it is possible for something to develope in 10 years but not saying that it has . My mom died of colon cancer at the age of 46 and the doctor told her it had been there for over 20 years. She had NO symptoms until it had spread to her brain. I will be getting my first colonoscopy on Sept 12. I am 32. I have no symptoms but i care not to wait that long, right now i know about 10 people under the age of 50 that have colon cancer and i am not willing to take my chances. I think too many times we are blown off because of our age and i think that is so unfair. My best to you! You know your body , listen to it.
PLEASE get a colonoscopy...my 40 yo husband was diagnosed with colon cancer in August. His Dad had a pre-cancerous polyp removed at age 55.
THe doctors told him he should ahve one at 45 or 50...but I made him do it at 40.

Thank Goodness we did...THe doctors said he woud not have made it to his 45 th birthday....

Just get one if you feel even a bit worried.
It's not a big deal...and it could save your life.