Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
GERD CHOKING

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

GERD CHOKING

I WOKE UP CHOKING LAST NIGHT FROM WHAT I BELIEVE WAS ACID OBSTRUCTING MY BREATHING AND POSSIBLY ENTERING MY LUNGS.  IT TOOK A GOOD 30 SECONDS OR MORE TO REGAIN MY BREATH.  AFTER MY THROAT WAS A BIT SORE AND MY STOMACH UPSET.  I BELIEVE THIS WAS PROBABLY SEVERE ACID REFLUX.  I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF I COULD HAVE DIED FROM THIS INCIDENT??    NOW I AM VERY NERVOUS TO SLEEP AT NIGHT FOR FEAR THAT I MAY DIE CHOKING IN MY SLEEP.    ALSO, IF I TAKE ZANTAC NIGHTLY BEFORE BED WILL THAT ENSURE THAT MY REFLUX DOESN'T CHOKE ME AT NIGHT?  
Acid reflux is certainly possible.  A 24-hr pH study and/or upper endoscopy should be considered to further evaluate the upper digestive tract.  

Sleep apnea can also be considered if the tests remain negative.  A sleep study can rule out this possibility.

If GERD is determined to be the cause, taking a PPI like omeprazole may help.

These options should be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I don't think you can die from it ,although after years apparantly it can eat away at your esophogus and stomach lining and you can develop cancer. But don't worry. It's in your esophagus, not your lungs. I'm only 26 and I've had the same experiences for the past month or so along with gastritis, swollen colon, etc. Don't sleep lying down for awhile. There are natural cures such as change in diet for awhile. Try eating foods without spices/acidic, no coffee, tea, soda, only water 1/2 hour before you eat and 2 hrs after. Licorice root helped settle my stomach. Try the chewable kind called Dgl. Dgl is better than pure licorice because it takes out the ingredient that affects blood pressure. It's all natural. Ginger I heard works too, but I haven't tried it. Antacids and proton inhibitors are very bad for you and may make it worse over time. Go natural...be patient. Good luck.