Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
GERD/Hiatal Hernia/Urge to Belch
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

GERD/Hiatal Hernia/Urge to Belch

Thank you again for answering my prior question. I just wanted to clarify something on the previous post and ask a new question. Additionally, I understand the posting limitations on this forum. This will be my final post.

For reference, the facts were the following:
* 26 year old male.
* 14 months ago: upper endoscopy and barium swallow revealed esophageal irritation and hiatal hernia. At this time, biopsy was negative for H Pylori.
* was prescribed Nexium, but did not consistently take it.
* reflux symptoms are usually mild. sore throat, and occasional need to sit up in bed to burp.

* 1 week ago, I woke up with bad nausea and feeling of bloating. Felt the need to vomit, but didn't.
* I started taking the Nexium at 80mg per day (1 40mg capsule in morning, 1 at night).
* Since then, I have had a frequent urge to belch/feeling of air trapped in my stomach/upper chest. However, I am usually unable to belch except for small amounts. Often the belching comes with fluid if I have eaten within a few hours.  This frequent urge to belch symptom just began this week and has never occurred before.
* Went to see my gastroenterologist, who will perform another upper endoscopy in a few weeks to see if the irritation on the esophagus has healed from the Nexium.

Specific questions:

1) Concerning stomach cancer: you said that the negative studies from last year made stomach cancer unlikely. Is this true despite the fact that they are now a bit old? It is my understanding that this is something that usually takes years to develop, and thus it seems that something would have been visible even a year ago. Can I then still infer some comfort and reassurance from the fact that the tests were negative?

2) As the "urge to belch" only started after I started taking the Nexium, could it be a side effect? I have read that PPIs can cause gas, and it seems as though my dose is toward the higher end of the spectrum.

Thanks again. I am hoping to calm my anxiety until the endoscopy.