Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
GGT Level

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

GGT Level
My GGT level was very high (first reading "284") one week later (259). All my other enzymes were fine. I'm 50yr old, and in great shape. I've worked out all my life. I'm the same weight now as I was in high school (5'6" 160lbs). I may have one glass of wine every other day, and take one asprin a day. The only medical condition I have is high cholesterol. It's been as high as 365 and as low of 225. I do not take medication for it, just the one asprin. I watch what I eat and feel fine. How concerned should I be about my high GGT?
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

Elevated GGT levels indicate that something is going on with your liver but not specifically what. In general, the higher the level the greater the
How does your Alkaline Phosphatase look?

GGT is a very sensitive test (the wine you mentioned could be responsible for the GGT being elevated.)

Thank you, imkindly... My "ALT Phosphate" (if that was what you meant)was fine, 110... so it fell in the normal range... And for the wine issue... The second test I took, I hadn't had a glass of wine for the week leading up to the test...
A related discussion, Alkaline Phosphatase and GGT was started.