GIST and dry heaves
My mother was recently diagnost with gastorintestinal stromal tumors.  In May her Doctor found lesions on her liver and could not find the main tumors until my mother grew a 47" waist.  Our question is that when my mother was originally sick she had these dry heaves back in 2002 no nausea.  Now that she is so large with tumors and cannot eat a lot these dry heaves are painfull and more frequent.  She has to take 16 chemo pills a day - gleevec and xeloda.  What can we do to stop the dry heaves?
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

Nausea with chemotherapy drugs is a common occurance.  Here are some suggestions you can discuss with your personal physician.  

Zofran, steroids (dexamethasone), and high dose Reglan have all been used alone or in combination to control chemotherapy-associated nausea.  

Here is a website that provides support for this issue:
http://www.cancernausea.com/default.asp

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.