Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Gall Bladder Sludge

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Gall Bladder Sludge

Ok, After MANY mis-diagnosed problems, I recently had a CT scan to discover that my pain is due to gall bladder sludge.  I have an appointment to see another physician, but I have had so many opinions on what will be done that I am totally confused!!  I have had terrible diarrhea, nausea, gas, indigestion, weight gain and pain for years and every DR that I have seen just says it is stress or some other condition and does nothing for me.  I can NOT eat greasy foods without severe pain and terrible bowels.  If I only have sludge, what are the chances that I will develop stones?  Is removal of the gall bladder in my future?  If it needs to come out BY ALL MEANS..I want it gone!!  Any suggestions or ideas as to what really IS the problem?

Hi there.  I had sludge in my gallbladder too.  They let me suffer for 3 months and finally took the gallbladder out. Th surgeon told me that my gallbladder was really really sick, but yet no test showed that, and believe me, they put me through every test known to man.  Keep on top of it!  There is no sense in suffering!
Hi: I know I'm not supposed to ask here, just comment, but every morning I try to get to ask a question and I'am to late!!  Sometimes as early as 4:30 a.m.  How long before the pain went away in the surgery area??  I know its only laproscopic, but were the two holes are, that were I still get like a stabbing pain sometimes!!  Its been one week. Thanx for taking the time.
                                          georgie
How did you get them to take out your gallbladder with all tests negative?  I've been going this for a year and a half & I can't take it!  Should I go to a surgeon?  What were your sx?
Thank you!  Everyone that I talk to seems to think I am just a complainer!  I see a new Dr. next week, so I will keep my fingers crossed that they do SOMETHING about this!!
Sorry I have taken so long to get back.  Have been sick!  In answer to your question:  I called my doctor and told him something had to be done, and if he wasn't going to do something I was going to find a surgeon myself.  I had been suffering for 3 months and had lost 40 lbs.  Pain pills got to where they didn't help.  So he called the  surgeon and 3 days later my gallbladder came out.  Please do not let any doctor tell you that sludge won't cause the same problems as stones.  I have been there and done that and like I said my gallbladder was (per surgeon's words) the sickest they had seen in a long time.  So you guys hang in there.  And please let me know how you are doing with the doctors!  Beebug
Georgie,  It took about 3to 4 weeks for pain to go away.  EVen though you had a laproscopic procedure, you still must heal.  When you feel pain, it usually means you have "over done it", so just lay down and rest.  It will take a while. And you must rest and be patient!  Let me know how you are going!  Beebug
GOing by what I went through, yes, your gallbladder needs to come out!  If your doctor won't listen to you, by all means go to a doctor that specializes in gallbladders. I recently had a bile duct problem, and after being trooped from doctor to doctor I finally told my primary care physician that he was going to send me to a bile duct specialist and I didn't care where it was because I was at the end of my rope.  Went to a doc 50 miles away and he found blockage in my bile duct by means of an ERCP.  I didn't have to suffer for 6 months if he had just sent me to a bile duct specialist in the first place!  Same goes for your gallbladder.  If you need to email me: ***@****.

Hang in there!  Beebug
A related discussion, the itch drove me mad was started.
A related discussion, gallbladder sludge was started.