Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Gall stones without gall bladder

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Gall stones without gall bladder

Re: Gall stones without gall bladder

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Gastroenterology Forum ]

Posted by HFHS M.D.-tbm on February 24, 1998 at 06:31:36:

In Reply to: Gall stones without gall bladder posted by Deb on February 15, 1998 at 11:30:59:
  Is it possible to continue to form gall stones even after the removal of the gall bladder. had gall bladder removed
  in 1990--have had recurrent RUQ pain for the last 5 years, exactly like the pain i had during my gall bladder attacks.
  It often radiates to my back, or is up under my breast. I also get a funny headache when i have the pain, also like
  when i had my gall bladder attacks. My physician seems to feel that it is because I am overweight ,
   and that if I lose weight the pain will disappear.
  Is it possible that I have foemed additional gall stones, or that one was retained after gall bladder removal.
   I had an ultrasound about 2 weeks afer my gall bladder removal and no stones were seen at that time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Deb:
It is possible to have gallstones after your gallbladder has been removed.
Approximately 3-4% of people who have had their gallbladder removed will have stones in their bile duct sometime later in life. Sometimes these are tiny stones left in the bile duct at time of gallbladder removal that grow and become a problem. Sometimes the stones are formed anew in the bile duct.
The common bile duct is the main pathway of bile drainage from the liver into the small bowel. Stones in the common bile duct can cause symptoms similar to the symptoms caused by stones in the gallbladder. Common bile duct stones can also cause an obstruction, by blocking the flow of bile from the liver into the small bowel.
Certain blood tests and an ultrasound are the best initial tests to evaluate for the presence of stones in the bile duct. Sometimes a special test called an ERCP is necessary.
This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation. Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.
If you would like to be seen at our institution, please call 1-800-653-6568, our Referring Physicians Office and make an appointment to be seen with Dr. Tamir Ben-Menachem of the Division of Gastroenterology, one of our experts in the treatment of gallstones and biliary problems.
HFHS M.D.-tbm
keyword: gallstones
0.2

A related discussion, having stones after removal of gallbladder was started.