Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Gallbladder polyp and fatty pancrease

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Gallbladder polyp and fatty pancrease
After a number of attacks of severe upper abdominal pain, one lasting all night, I was given an abdominal ultrasound that showed a gallbladder polyp and fatty pancreas.  I also have a 35 year history of Hepatitis C with stage 3 liver scarring.  Should I be worried about the polyp and the fatty pancreas?  What do they indicate?  The attacks of pain sometimes last for 3 or 4 days.
Most gallbladder polyps are benign.  The only treatment is removal of the gallbladder, and treatment is dependent on the size of the polyp.  Polyps between 5-10mm should be followed closely with repeat ultrasounds every 3 months.  Polyps larger than 10mm should be removed to ensure there is no cancer.  

Regarding the pancreas, chronic pancreatitis can lead to this - possibly by chronic alcohol ingestion.  You may want to consider a CT scan as well as pancreatic enzymes for further evaluation.

I would consider a referral to a GI specialist if you aren't seeing one already.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Regarding my prior question and the posted answer, in light of the Hepatitis C diagnosis after a transfusion many years ago, I have not used alcohol for over 30 years and I wondered if anyone else with the Hepatitis C diagnosis has experienced gallbladder polyps and fatty pancreas after long-term Hep C.
I have Chronic Pancreatitis and SOd and did NOT get pancreatitis from alcohol.  I belong to a board where another member is researching the possibility of thelink between Hep C and pancreatitis.  You should check it out. You may find something useful there. It is a yahoo board group so I think you have to join to post. But I think it will be of benefit to you.  http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/pancreatitis/
Sandy