Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Gallbladder removal and wieght loss

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Gallbladder removal and wieght loss

I am a 40year old normally healthy woman.  I had my gallbladder removed in Oct of 2006 and I have now lost almost 70 pounds. I cannot eat but 4 or 5 bites at a time.  I am getting very weak and my chest (and many other areas) are now starting to hurt all the time.  I get sick to my stomach alot, have major URQ pain that goes around to my back and makes it feel like it is going to break(upper area).  I cannot go on living like this.  I have talked to my doctors and none seem to think it is a big deal. (why I do not know).  I guess that I MAYBE take in 300-400 calories a day.  NOT GOOD! I do not workout anymore and can't do small chores even around the house. I fold a half load of laundry and have to rest.  Turn the steering wheel in the car when driving and it feels like I just lifted wieghts.  What is happening here.  PLEASE HELP!
Constant RUQ pain can be due to things like Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction, upper GI diseases as well as biliary duct stones.

You can consider an MRCP to evaluated the biliary ducts.  Sphincter of Oddi can be evaluated with an ERCP with Sphincter of Oddi manometry.  

If negative, you can consider an upper endoscopy to further evaluate the upper GI tract.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I had a diseased gallbladder removed 6 weeks after being hospitalized with an acute pancreatitis and gallstones in 2005.  Before then I had an occasional indigestion, some heartburn, but nothing that compared to how sick I have been ever since its removal.  I was diagnosed with a mild Fatty Liver. For the last 3 years I have been vomiting.  I have episodes of painful headaches, chest pains, trapped gas, can't breathe and anxiety attacks.  It usually happens within 5-6 hours after I eat dinner at night.  I realized that I cannot eat certain foods any longer (i.e., red meats, boiled potatoes and zucchini, lettuce, etc., etc.).  Unlike most people having trouble to digest, I am not losing any weight.  I will lose about 10-15 of the 90lbs and put it right back on once I can eat.  My metabolism has been shot for many years making losing weight almost impossible.  I have had so many ER visits for the vomiting, hernia, migraines, etc.  I have had so many blood tests for my liver, ultrasounds, CT Scan, MRIs, etc.  Finally I went to see a specialist along with my 4" notebook with all my labs, hospital notes, x-rays, etc. for the last 3 years..  He, said nothing could be done (like all the other doctor's before him, but to monitor my diseased liver's progress).  Later in the evening after reviewing my labs for the past 10 years he realized that I didn't have a fatty liver until AFTER my gallbladder was removed and that there may be a RESIDUAL stone left.

My question is.....a MRCP has now been recommended by a GI.  He states that if one is found that an endoscopic procedure would be necessary and that there is a chance that the pancrease might be affected.  I am not comfortable with another surgery.  Is there another way to dissolve a residual stone?  Is there another specialiist I should be seeing or other teststhat can be done if the MRCP does not show a stone?  I am sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Thank you.
I am not a doctor but just a caregive of sick father.
Have your doctors offered you any appetite stimulants?

My father lost about 50lbs after chemotherapies and surgeries.  He was basically anorexic and could not even look at food. Even on a feeding tube he was losing weight still.

Finally, he agreed to an appetite stimulant. He takes Megace every day.

Now his appetite is huge and he has gained about 5-7lbs back in the last 3 weeks.

His illnesses are many and are as follows:

Zollinger Ellison Syndrome
Gall Bladder removal
Appendix removed in the 1960's
Recent surgery to repair perforated intestine (5cm)

Currently possible cholingitis (inflamation (inflammation) of the Bile Duct) OR possible blockage of the bile duct
Diabetes Type II for which he takes Lantus and Novolog insulins
Syndrome which has caused several gastrinomas.
Gastrinomas were removed from his stomach/duodenum and from his pancreas. His digestive system was reconfigured in a Y and he also had the Whipple Procedure.

He had Gastrinomas that appeared in his liver as of Nov. 06 and underwent
4 peripheral hepatic perfusions with melphalan (chemotherapy) and as of the last scan they were no longer visible.

I hope you get better! We are amazed at the change for the good in my father's appetite after starting the Megace. However the Megace has potential side effects.
I had my gallbladder removed 2 months ago. Continue to have loss of appetite and weight loss, upper right quadrant pain and a severe "attack" last week after a meal heavier than I normally eat. The attack consisted of extreme stomach cramps, nausea and vomiting lots of bile for 12 hours. After reading other peoples postings with the same symptoms, I think it may be bile reflux. I don't understand why most doctors are aware of this problem after gallbladder surgery. After numerous IV bags and anti-nausea meds I have heartburn and RUQ pain after I eat anything. Has anyone else considered bile refux and how to treat it?
A related discussion, Gallbladder removel (removal) symtoms (symptoms) was started.