Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Gallstones in my liver ducts

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Gallstones in my liver ducts

I recently (4 weeks ago) had my gallbladder removed due to it being filled with gallstones.  I had been having pain for 2 years, but I had been told that I had everything from gastritis to just stress. My surgeon was going to do the surgery by lapriscope, but upon going in, found that my gallbladder was not where it was supposed to be, it was behind my liver and not below it, and they then had to perform the surgery in the "old fashioned" way.  My surgeon had also discovered that due to the unusual placement of my gallbladder, that I now also have gallstones backed up into the ducts in my liver!  They left the t-tube in place as to try to find some way to remove the stones without what my surgeon said would be reconstructive microsurgery.  He has spoken to many physicians, who all say my case is very interesting, but no one knows what to do or how to get the stones out of my live.  I now sit here with the t-tube still in place and wait daily for a call from my doctor hoping he has found someone who had seen this happen before and may know what to do.  I am from Michigan originally and know that Henry Ford Hospital has a very good reputation and hope that perhaps someone may be able to give assistance to my and my surgeon.  I thank you in advance.
____________
Dear Sally,
Stones in the common bile duct can be removed via the endoscope in a test call ERCP with sphincterotomy.  The patient is sedated and atelescope is positioned at the opening of the bile duct.  An incision is made through the endoscope at the duct opening.  This widening of the opening allows many stones to pass freely.  The duct is then swept clean using a balloon.  If necessary large stones can be crushed in the duct thus allowing them to pass.  This procedure is done as an outpatient and most patients can go home within a few hours of the test being completed.  
In your case, an ERCP is needed to identify and characterize your anatomy before determining if sphincterotomy will be beneficial.
Dr. Ben Menahem of our group is expert in the diagnosis and treatment of bile duct problems.  You can arrange an appoinment with him by calling our Physician Referral Line at (800)653-6568.
This information is presented for educational purposes only.  Always ask psecific questions to your personal physician.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords; gall stones
0.2