Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Gas, Diarrhea, constipation, PAIN!!! Help

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I am an 18 year old woman in quite good health according to my doctor and I'm about to go away to college. I've always had stomach issues-even as a little girl sometimes before school especial if I was nervous I would get this debilitating stomach pain that came as quickly as it would leave sometimes. My parents brushed it off always. At age 15 I discovered that like my mother I was lactose intolerant- I quickly learned what that meant and avoided all dairy products unless the were specially made for the lactose intolerant. But still even cutting out dairy I would get horribly painful gas accompanied sometimes by diarrhea-but not normal diarrhea it was like I was constipated but when I finally did go to the bathroom it was liquid. Anyway recently my stomach has become so fickle I'm actually terrified to eat anything other than bread (which I consider my "safe" food) and water. I don't think it's anything serious but I'm going to college in two weeks and I'm so afraid of what my stomach will be like there eating their food! Is there any kind of medication that eases all stomach problems including gas without reeking havoc on my body? I really don't have time to see a doc now-I'm just looking for a quick fix.
It sounds like maybe you could have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, but to rule out Inflammatory Bowel Disease, you should go and get it checked out.

If it is irritable Bowel, there are a number of things people swear by to help. Peppermint oil capsules (brand name Colpermin here in the UK) are helpful, and are lactobaccillus, L.casei immunitas (in Yakult drinks)and acidophalus, all 'good' bacteria for the gut. People also say that drinking aloe vera juice os good for IBS, and stress relief is recommended.

I have Crohn's disease and am lactose intolerant also, so don't be put off by the fact that some of these bacteria are in a little milk-type drink. The amount that you're taking I find, doesn't really affect your stomach.

Kez
IBS really? Thanks for the advice-I guess I'll have to see a doc one of these days.
Hi there: it won't be bad idea if you have insurance to visit the GI doc and tell to check your digestive system. I am 44 now, but since your age, I was suffering the same like you. I have few good years of relief by taking Alfalfa with every meal, good bye constipation, gas ( didn't have diarrhea. to make the story short, last few years things got worse. cramps, constipation and then diarrhea until my instestine are clean. I thought this is not right. Visit Gyno 'cause I had some pains, he said check the colon. I have a twist in the colon. That is about my story. Extremely healthy food is a plus. I also don't drink milk or derivative/ and any food with preservative and then I am completely okay. It is hard no to eat everything.
I don't know if this will help anyone,but I was on protonix and Reglan for over a year,and these meds did help alot,but I developed Restless Leg Syndrome from the Reglan,and they took me off it..I immediately went down hill in a hurry without the reglan.My appointment this past Wednesday,the gastro gave me the NEW medicine Zelnorm,that just came out.Two hours after the very first dose the gas broke up,and my bloated stomach went down..
This my fourth day on it,and I have no bloat,no stomach discomfort,and I am not constipated..I feel great..I just wanted to pass this info along.I hope it helps someone...
Kaylien