Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Gas/Bloat Syndrome

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Gas/Bloat Syndrome

Hello I was diagnosed with gas/bloat syndrome s/p nissen Fundoplication two years ago. My abdomen distention was comparable to a ninth month pregnancy, Doctors were amazed. September 29th I had the surgery taken down. Since the take down my symptoms are less severe and less frequent. I tend to distend to a sixth month size now and it happens every week and a half to two instead of daily. I also have been told I have colonic inertia to chronic pseudo-obstruction. I take 3-4 ducolax and 17gr. of miralax nightly. I have a movement daily but after a week and a half I distend. On xray the large and small bowel has some stool and gas throughout but basically unremarkable while I am extremely distended. I take cytotec 200mcg four tabs at hs when this happens along with my regular meds to get releif. It seems as if I have to have diarrhea daily be very cleaned out in order to avoid this bloating. My Doctor wants me to cut back on the laxatives and stopped the cytotec a month or so ago. I only take it now when I need relief from the distention. I do distend somewhat nightly, but tollerable. When I distend very large I have pressure in the rectum and low back pain and even breathing tends to be slightly labored. My meds are also propulsid 20mg four times a day, prilosec 20mg twice a day. I do have reflux back with mainly throat symptoms since the Nissen take down. Have you ever heard of Gas/ bloat syndrome? Can diet help? If so what kind. I need help . My doctor says there are no answers for this. It is rare and not much treatment. Is there any information on this or support groups for this. I really want information on what I can try to help me. Please help with any insight on this you can and any direction you can give me. Thankyou ever so much
Jane
Dear Jane,
After a fundoplication, individuakls are unable to belch.  Accu,ulation on gas in th estomach or small intestine can cause the gas bloat syndrome that you describe.  The offending gas may come from digested food although usually it is the result of swallowed air.  the air can come from outh breathing or talking when eating.

The take down of the fundoplication should have relieved your symptoms.  The propulsid should also be helpful.  Given th epersistence of symptoms, one must wonder about altered gastric motility even with the [rokinetic therapy.  A gastric emptying study is warranted.

With regard to diet avoid foods associated with gas e.g. beans, cabbage, milk if you are lactose intolerant.  You  may want to ask your doctor about the use of antigas medications e.g. simethicone or charcoal in an attempt to improve your symptoms.

Best of luck
I HAVE BEEN HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. I GET EXTREMELY BLOATED AFTER EVERY MEAL. I AM ONLY 34 YEARS OLD AND NOT OVERWEIGHT AT ALL. I LOOK 6 MONTHS PREGNANT! MY DOCTOR RAN NUMEROUS BLOOD TESTS AND SAID NOTHING IS WRONG WITH ME.
My 7 year old daughter has a swollen stomach. It is swollen just below the lungs, it looks like the bottom of her rib cage is being pushed out. She feels no pain upon palpitation but she's complained of a stomach ache off and on for the last few months usually at bedtime. She's had mild nausea the last few days. When she went to the doctor a couple of days ago she said nothing hurt when he pressed on her stomach but she said tonight that it does feel uncomfortable when you press on her stomach just below the sternum.
The doctor has her off of milk products to see if she is lactose intolerant. She doesn't have any symptoms like diarrhea or gas.
What could cause her stomach to appear so bloated?
Any ideas? Help.
Help. Help. Help.

***@****
I look about 7 months pregnant.  I gained 45 lbs since last march.  Although I have Hepatitis C, doctor says its unrelated. I'm also on medications that are known to cause weight gain. My doctors say the meds are not responsible for it. I get especially bloated after I eat. I have reflux problems when I go to bed. Dieting and exercise don't help - I just keep gaining weight. Do I have Gas/Bloat syndrome?
Dear Jane,

I felt compelled to write to, if anything, let you know that there is someone else out here suffering something similiar.  I am 29 and have been diagnosed years ago with IBS. Now I've been diagnosed with chronic constipation.  I bloat to about a 5 months pregancy size.  Though I eat high fiber daily and drink about 1/2 a gallon of water (at least) a day, I still have trouble passing stools.  My colon seems to stop passing mid-stream.  I walk around bloated and uncomfortable.  My colon spasms, which causes pain.  My blood pressure goes up during one of these episodes - from 120/80 to 130/90 or slightly higher.  I feel weakened and sometimes breathless.  It's a vicious cycle.  My doctor told me to refrain from laxatives, but prescribed Lactulose syrup, which helps.  You might try this syrup.  Good luck.
I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING WITH FEELING FULL AND BLOATED AFTER EATING SMALL AMOUNTS OF FOOD. THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR 3-4 YEARS. I HAVE BEEN ON PROPULSID PRILOSEC, AND PREVACID WITHOUT RELIEF. I CANNOT EAT ANY MEAT, I CAN GO FOR 15 DAYS, VOMITING UP EVERYTHING I EAT, THEN LIKE THIS TIME, 10 DAYS WITH NO PROBLEM, AND THEN, LIKE TONIGHT (IT IS 1.00 A.M.) I HAVE TO GET OUT OF BED AND INDUCE VOMITING BECAUSE I CANNOT SLEEP. WHEN I DO VOMIT, IT IS JUST YELLOW LIQUID, BITTER AND BURNING.TODAY I HAVE A PAIN IN MY RIGHTSHOULDER BLADE LIKE SOMEONE IS STABBING ME IN THE BACK, WHICH IS NOT RELIEVED BY ANY PAIN PILLS,BUT THE HEATING PAD HELPS. I AM 51 YRS OLD, 5FT 7IN AND 158LBS. LAST WEEK I HAD A 5 HR GLUCOSE TOLERANCE TEST(BECAUSE I WAS WEAK) HA HA WOULDN'T  ANYONE BE WEAK AFTER VOMITING FOR 10 DAYS STRAIGHT? ALSO, MY LIVER ENZYMES AND ELECTROLYTES, IRON AND SUGAR WERE ALL NORMAL. HELP!! MY HUSBAND IS CONVINCED I AM BULEMIC, AND MY COWORKERS THINK I AM NUTS!!
I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING WITH FEELING FULL
AND BLOATED AFTER EATING SMALL AMOUNTS OF
FOOD. THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR 3-4
YEARS. I HAVE BEEN ON PROPULSID PRILOSEC,
AND PREVACID WITHOUT RELIEF. I CANNOT EAT
ANY MEAT, I CAN GO FOR 15 DAYS, VOMITING
UP EVERYTHING I EAT, THEN LIKE THIS TIME,
10 DAYS WITH NO PROBLEM, AND THEN, LIKE
TONIGHT (IT IS 1.00 A.M.) I HAVE TO GET
OUT OF BED AND INDUCE VOMITING BECAUSE I
CANNOT SLEEP. WHEN I DO VOMIT, IT IS JUST
YELLOW LIQUID, BITTER AND BURNING.TODAY I
HAVE A PAIN IN MY RIGHTSHOULDER BLADE
LIKE SOMEONE IS STABBING ME IN THE BACK,
WHICH IS NOT RELIEVED BY ANY PAIN
PILLS,BUT THE HEATING PAD HELPS. I AM 51
YRS OLD, 5FT 7IN AND 158LBS. LAST WEEK I
HAD A 5 HR GLUCOSE TOLERANCE TEST(BECAUSE
I WAS WEAK) HA HA WOULDN'T  ANYONE BE
WEAK AFTER VOMITING FOR 10 DAYS STRAIGHT?
ALSO, MY LIVER ENZYMES AND ELECTROLYTES,
IRON AND SUGAR WERE ALL NORMAL. HELP!! MY
HUSBAND IS CONVINCED I AM BULEMIC, AND MY
COWORKERS THINK I AM NUTS!!
You may be suffering from gastroparesis.  It's a condition which your stomach isn't moving normal so food stays longer.  It's diagnosed by having a gastric emptying test or electrogatrography(EGG).  There are some medications can help you a bit.  Reglan, Erythromycin, Propulsid and Domperidone(not yet approved by FDA).  Please ask your doctor for the test and medication.
Above comment was for Kathy.
I HAVE HAD BOWEL TROUBLE AS FAR BACK AS I CAN REMEBER, AND THEY HAVE DONE SEVERAL TEST.  THEY SAID AT ONE TIME I HAD PEPTIC ULSARS AND IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME.  LATELY I'VE HAD SEVERE PAIN FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY RIB CAGE TO MY NAVAL.  EVERYTIME I EAT IT SEEMS AS THOUGH MY FOOD JUST SETS AT THE BASE OF MY RIBS,I FIND IT HARD TO BREATHE AT TIMES.  I TEND TO BURP ALOT TOO.  SOMETIMES MY STOMACH WILL SWELL AND I LOOK 3 OR 4 MONTHS PREGNANT. I JUST SPENT 8 HOURS IN THE HOSPITAL CHECKING FOR APPENDIX OR GALL BLADDER PROBLEMS.  THEY DID AN UPPER GI, BLOOD AND URINE TEST, C-SCAN, AND X-RAYS.  THEY CAME BACK WITH NOTHING.  THEY PUT ME ON PRILOSEC, WORKED ONLY TEMPORAILY. THEY JUST GAVE ME PROPULSID TO TRY.  IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFORMATION THAT CAN HELP, PLEASE WRITE BACK!
I am a 36 year old woman, who have had problems with my stomach for approximately 8 years now.  Every time I eat, I have to rush directly to the bathroom.  On a couple of occasions I have not been able to make it to the bathroom (very embarrassing situation).  My mouth at times fills up with a large amount of saliva and I feel very nauseated.  Sometimes I feel that I cannot barely breath. My stomach is so large that I look as if I am 7 or 8 months pregnant.  I am a small-framed person and my doctor keeps telling me I am not over-weight, but almost everyday someone is asking me if I am pregnant or when is my baby due.  I am getting so frustrated and depressed because of this.  When I first started feeling symptoms of this, I had diarreah (diarrhea) for 19 straight days.  The doctor said I was Lactrose Intolerant.  A few months ago my obgyn ran several blood test on my and said they could not find anything and suggested I go to a gastro doctor.  I called my primary care physician to recommend a gastro doctor and they wanted to try to treat me first.  I became frustrated and just felt that my doctors think that I am crazy because they are always saying that they can find anything.  What can this be?  Can someone help me?  I hate this feeling and I hate looking like I am pregnant.
Dear Jane, Most laxitives are too harsh for an irritable bowel and cause problems for almost any stomach condition.  What about fiber?  Are you sure you are getting enough?  Fruit fiber is very good for the bowel and does not cause bloating.  Also, are you drinking enough water?  I find water to be quite soothing to the stomach.  Distilled is best; i think it is the purest water we have today.  Good luck!                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Jennifer
I have similar problem, look at diet in terms of gastrointestinal disorders for beneficial herbs  and dietry recommendations also carbo veg and lycopodium (homoeopathic remedy), hope you get some support with this. I strongly suggest going to see a good Homoeopath.
To Julia and Jennifer

I appreciate your suggestions but I hate to say I've been on Lactulose syrup and it caused more gas and bloating. I tried eating a high fiber diet and it landed me in the hospital for ten days. My stomach distended so enormous, bigger than ever. Doctors always ask me if I'm diabetic because I also have gastroparesis. My entire Gi system is somewhat paralyzed especially the small bowel. I guess this is seen mostly in diabetics and I'm not diabetic. Every time I go on the net to different sites like ask the doc no one ever has any answers for me most have never heard of this syndrome. It's very frustrating.I just wish I could find some answers. I haven't worked in over a year due to all of this. To all of you who posted a comment I wish I had some answers for you to.
Thankyou all for your comments. Best of Luck.

Jane
HERES A FOLLOWUP, I HAD MY GALLBLADDER, LIVER AND PANCREAS ULTRA SOUND ON MONDAY (WHILE I WAS IN THE E.R. GETTING IV FLUIDS FOR SEVERE DEYDRATION FOLLOWING VOMITING FOR 2DAYS STRAIGHT.  NEEDLESS TO SAY, IT WAS NEGATIVE. THEN THE ER DOCTOR ASKED ME WHAT I WAS TAKING. I TOLD HIM PROPULSID QID AND PREVACID BID. HE ASKED ME WHAT I THOUGHT WAS MY PROBLEM. SO I SAID "GASTROPARESIS". HE SAID THAT WAS IMPOSSIBLE, BECAUSE I AM NOT DIABETIC.  TODAY I HAD AN UPPER GI.  THE RESULTS?  
1.  SIGNIFICANT REFLUX TO THE MID THORACIC ESOPHAGUS. 2. HIATAL HERNIA. 3.
DUODENITIS. 4. CANNOT RULE OUT POSSIBILITY OF DUODENAL ULCER. AND THE KICKER, DELAYED GASTRIC EMPTYING DUE TO
GENERALIZED GASTROPARESIS.  THANKS BRANDON!! NOW TELL ME WHATS THE TREATMENT!
MY E MAIL: ***@****
         THANKS GUYS, COMMENTS WELCOME.
After reading everyone's illnesses, I too sometimes feel bloated, with back and chest pain over the left breast area, find it difficult to sleep at night.  Pressure when I left my arms. Your symptoms are similar to mine, the only exception is that I am not bloated all the time. I have lost 12lbs. since October 29, 1999. I have had reflux for over 10 years and seems to get worse.  I have been put on cimitidine and propulsid, now on prilosec, eliminated the cimitidine until I take the prilosec for 10-days. If this doesn't provide relief then, they will scope for a diagnose.  The pain is also consentrated below the rib cage. This seems to be an epidemic! Is there any cure for us?
I am going to have a sigmoidoscopy on Friday and I have heard from everyone I know that it is extremely painfull, but all the articles I've read say it's not that bad. Has anyone had one and what was it like??  I have had all the same problems with bloating and weight loss, etc. The doctors have said for months that it is just stress, well I have been at home unable to work and completely stress free. I am very frustrated with everything I have tried and feel like I was better off not doing any of this. Please someone respond to this about the sigmoidoscopy before Friday afternoon. Thankyou!
Lisa,

I sympathize with how you are feeling. I have had a
colonocsopy before and unfortunately, going for another
next Thursday (YUCK) I was given sedation for the first
and will be given sedation for the one on Thurs. I was
somewhat awake for most of the first one and you may feel
some pressure kindof like gas.When the Dr. had a hard time navigating they knocked me out.I dont think the sigmoidoscopy
is as invasive, I dont think they look as far ? I have to
say the prep was the worst of it.My mom did go for a "sigscopy"
no sedation and she had a twist in her intestine and they
used air to inflate and untwist it. She said it was like having
gas pains. I guess like when you eat something that reeks
havoch in you guts :) The fact that they can do both
procedures without sedation means that they are usually not
painfull.Im sure some people have had bad experiences. I
would suggest that you talk to the nurse who will be there
and tell her your nervous about it hurting and can she
explain exactly what is going to happen,what to expect.
This may help ease your mind.I get very nervous about these
types of tests also and I find that if I just talk to someone about it I feel a little better.I hope Ive been of some help?
My E-Mail is: ***@**** feel free if you would like to
chat some more. Good Luck to you! Hang in there :) !!
Jeannine
OOPS!
Jeannine, Thank you! I will e-mail so we can chat. I feel better, I think... anyway, thank you.. My e-mail is ***@****.

Anyone out there....if you're feling like you're alone, trust me you're not. There is lots of us. Has anyone considered trying those experiments they advertise for IBS?
Rebecca,
Forget wasting your time and energy going to specialists to try and come up with answers or DX.I myself have tried for over 8
years to get an answer and help.I have also tried prilosec,as\
much as 4-20 mg. capsules a day,along with propulsid,which almost every other drug you need to take eventually interacts
with this monster.
I have been in a studying hospital,and to some that they call the worlds finest,it all is a big joke,as they don't know much about these symptom's or what actually causes them.
I will tell you this,we found a very dependable source,a man that had owned a health food store and took much pride in many people's symptom's.You are able to purchase charcoal capsules from health food stores,they work.Everytime I started to feel distressed I would take 2 capsules.If it didn't work at first,2 hours later I would take 2 more.It absorbs the gas ,and believe me it is a  real relief.Be careful not to take it within 2 hours of your medications as it will absorb your medications or minerals or suppliments.
Charcoal can not hurt you,it is a nautral remedy,and so much safer than the drugs they give you that Don't work.
Good Luck
Lynn
You may all want to check out the American pseudo-obstruction and Hirschsprung Society web page at
http://www.tiac.net/users/aphs/
This is geared towards children but has a lot of good information concerning motility disorders in general.
I have IBS since I can remember (I am 27) years old now.  I have had diarrhea for the past week. Everytime I eat I have horrible cramps and a bubbly feeling in my stomach. It also feels very tight.  It all started out feeling nauseous, then I had body aches and then that went away. Now I just have the runs!  This is not normal for me to be feeling this way ALL of the time 24 hours a day and to the point that I had to miss 4 days of work. I don't really have an appetite and I have lost a lot of weight.  I am going to see my gastro..doctor on Monday to do some tests.  He diagnosed me with IBS a long time ago but this is not like just having my usual stomach aches.  This is really getting annoying!  I have been eating really bland food (when I do eat).. I went out to the store before and felt really light headed.  Maybe because I have been home and have been inactive.   I have been reading what some other people have gone through and I guess my symptoms don't seem that bad compared to others, but when it is happening to you, you don't think about other people.  I should also mention that I have anxiety disorder, which does not help my stomach.  My doctor has prescribed Levsin and Xanax (for anxiety) but that just helps in the moment, it does not make it go away.  Does anyone know anything about this?  Does it sound like a virus?
I too have IBS.  I have found that eliminating raw vegetables help.  I had a colonoscopy and EGD to rule out Chrons a month ago.  One annoying symptom I have been having for the past almost 7 years is that almost on a nightly basis aroun 4 a.m. I am awakened by intense pain in my abdomen with each breath I take.  If I breath shallow it's not as severe, but with abdominal breathing it is intense with each inflation on my diaphram. I have seen many doctors over the past 7 years, I have had ultrasound, catscans, bloodwork, and various other tests.  No problems found.  I feel that this is somehow r/t gas.  If I get up during the night when the pain happens and move around it is somewhat relieved.  HELP is anyone out there having a similar problem?  I feel so frustrated that I can get relief.  email at ria_gal***@****   thanks!!
I have been having these discomfort pains for the last 7 to 8 yrs.  Everything i eat seems to swell in  my stomach no matter how small of a portion i eat.  this is a a very uncomfortable feeling.  in the morning my clothers fit fine but by the time i eat lunch they become very uncomfortable.  i am taking blood pressure medication but that is the only prescribed medication i take.  the lower right side of my abdomen seems to be swollen much more than the left.  Can someone please give me some anwers or please send me in the right direction.  I am a small boned person so when my stocmach is swollen it looks very funny.  it may do this for one to two weeks at at time, then it may go back to normal but only for a few days.  please someone help.
My 88 year old father has had alot of the same symptoms as I have been reading above.  Pain or tightening feeling in his right abdnomen area with a burning or heat feeling.  He says it also sweats there.  It really restricts his breathing when it is at its worse and he has emphazema.  He also has 4 compression fractions in his spine from osteo.  I have taken him to so many doctors.  He has had colonoscopy - came out perfect.  Ultrasound, Cat Scan, Sonogram you name it.  Checked for cancer etc. Nothing shows.  He is really suffering. Nothing can touch his abdomin (abdomen).  It is extremely distented on the right side.  Been checked for hernia - nothing. I was so amazed at the amount of people here who suffer the same symtoms (symptoms).  The doctors look at you like your crazy but yet there are hundreds of you out there suffering.  With all the other serious problems he has the abdominal feelings seem to be the worst for some reason.  The compression fractions are treated with Fentonyl patch and percoset or Oxycodine.  I hope that all of you and my father find answers very soon. I am afraid that time is running out for him and it is such a shame that his last years of his life have to be in suffering and such misery.
For as long as I can remember, I have had constant gas. It is very uncomfortable and it causes much stress.  I am not constipated; I actually have a BM twice a day.  I eat a lot of sugar and fatty foods...this could be the cause. Is there something that I can take?  I also have a feeling that I need to burp, but it never comes.  Is this related? It's all uncomfortable.
thanks
How glad I am to have found this site. Perhaps this posting will begin to help me find a solution(s) for what ails me. I too was told by several doctors that I tend to swallow air. I have no idea when I am swallowing the air. Lactose intolerance is also a problem. Milk and milk products wreak havoc with my system. I also suffer from constipation and chronic halitosis  More often than not, I cannot smell my breath, but judging from the reactions of those around me, I believe my halitosis to be extremely offensive. You can imagine how stressful this condition is for me professionally and personally. It is, at times, almost debillitating. My stomach, as I compose this posting, resembles that of a woman at least six months pregnant.
Several postings mentioned the benefits of charcoal tablets.  I will investigate those further. At this point I am so frustrated. I have poured good money after bad going from dentists, to allergists, to endocrinologists to so-called bad breath specialists looking for answers to no avail. Please, please, please is there anyone out there who has found answers they are willing to share with me? I AM ATTEMPTING TO GET ON WITH MY LIFE.

Hi I am a 33 year old female mother of two. I have chronic pancreatitis. I have been in and out of the hospital now for about 2 years. I had to have a port put in my chest due to having so many iv's. My problem now is my stomach stays swollen like I am 6 months pregeant all the time. It gets really bad when I stand on my feet. When I had my last cat scan done. My doctor told me that my tissues and  intesetines were 4 times bigger then they should be. I was put on one more time a bunch of meds. We live in a very small town. My doctor seems not to worried about my swelling . However I cannot stand on my feet without feeling like I can not breath right. My heart rate stays about 120 and blood pressure stays low around 90/60 . If anyone can help please  let me know. I am so deppresed with all of this. I cannot even have a normal life. Thank you Michelle
Can anyone help us?  I have a swollen belly, constant gas, severe bloating after eating.  It's miserable.  Should I see a  doctor, try the charcoal, or just continue to suffer?  My e-mail address is ***@****.
I get really bad gas and bloating about 2 weeks before I menstrate and it continues until i do.  It is so uncomfortable and nothing seems to - at least over the counter medication does not.  is there anything i can do to reduce this - dietary wise or prescriptions - anything!?  im sick of feeling so miserable for two weeks out of the month.
i had a beign polyp removed from my uterus on the 7th of jan.  the next am i woke up with a fever of 102 and my gyn dr called in cipro.  friday am i woke up with my stomach swollen until i look nine months pregnant.  the gyn dr said it had nothing to do with my surgery.  my pcp sent me to a gastro specialist.  i have had a ct scan, upper gi and scheduled for lower gi next week.  they have found nothing.  he said as a shot in the dark he prescribed flagyl thinking that the cipro might have caused an adverse reaction.  it doesn't matter what  i eat or how much my stomach is so swollen i am miserable.  my esophagus has spasms and i am on prevacid and imdur.  does anyone have any suggestions?
I'm a 36 yr old female with 3 kids. For about a year I have started having terrible cramps in my stomache, so bad that I double over in pain. This will lasts for about 3 to 4 hours ending in diarrhea. But stomache still very sore for 2 to 3 days later, this happens about 3 to 4 times a month. Would this be irritable bowel syndrome? Also I have lost about 6 pounds that I didn't need to lose. but I don't swell or look like I'm pregnant..Do I need to see a Doctor?  Any suggestions would be most appreciated. contact me at ***@****   Thanks
I was diagnosed with IBS almost twenty years ago; I have had many medical problems and various surgeries over the years.  The last few months I have reverted to constipation more so than diarreha.  My stomach gets really hard and it looks as if I am 7 months pregnant.  I had a hysterectomy 8 years ago, but I am having pain where I think my ovaries should be.  When I get bloated and gassy which is all the time the pressure in my lower abdomen is bothersome.  Sometimes I am unable to sleep on my side because of it.  My lower back hurts more each day.  I have had several colonoscopies with polyps found a couple of times.
I am tired of doctors telling me it's my diet or it's stress.  I really don't have much stress in my life other than trying to work and not pass gas in front of everyone.  It is very embarassing -- I could be lactose interolant, but I really don't do dairy products and I absolutley do not do milk.  My next appointment with the gastronolgist is on Jan. 25th, and I feel I can't even make it until then because I feel so miserable and tired and I, too, am getting tired of people thinking I am pregnant.  On my last colonoscopy the doctor had trouble getting through the colon.  She thought at first that there might be scar tissue forming from all my surgeries which makes sense.  I was thrilled that I finally had an answer.  She scheduled me a barium enema, but the radiologist said he didn't have any trouble.  What can it be?  Please help for I am taking my frustrations out on my family.
I also had Nissen 2 1/2 yrs ago.  Have had bloating and gas and have not been able to wear bra.  (64 yr old female)  Gastro doctor suggested trying high protein/ low carbo diet.  It helps but still have problems.  Especially if I fall off diet and eat much sugar.  In reading the possible side effects of prilosec it says it may cause gas.
I can't believe I found this site.  How can so many of us have I these same symptoms and the docs be unable to correctly diagnose
Had my gallbladder removed late October, but continue to have pain in lower right quadrant and swelling and pain in all of abdomen most of the time.  Have had ultrasounds, blood tests,
cat scans, colonoscopy.  One biopsy showed colitis, but Flagyl and Cipro have not helped.
I thought I was dying.  It helps so much to know that so many of us are in the same boat...though I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.  I wish there were some way to just stop eating all together, but, I continue to have some appetite.  Just suffer so every time I eat.
Perhaps the internet will be the tool to finally help people like us.  I read on one site that Pepto Bismol in large amounts for 8 weeks has helped some people.  I'm willing to try anything, ANYTHING!
One good thing...I've found a doctor who is patient and kind and really cares.  He's determined to help.  It's so helpful when you're not dealing with a doctor who refuses to make eye-contact and acts as if he has a stop-watch in his hand.
God bless all of you.
Anyone experiencing the same symptoms, let me know!!  I have had the big D for several years, then came joint and muscle pain, headaches and a constant fullness in the left lower gut. I have lost 50 lbs in the last 5 months, mainly because I cannot sleep if I eat anything. I get crampy and weak. I have been told that I have microscopic colitis, yet for the last several weeks I have been constipated. Blood tests show anemia (folate) and macrocytosis. My GP says that I have Fibromyalgia/CFS, and my gastro says I have irritable bowel. I got into a IBS study and was disqualified because the doctors running the study said I did not have IBS, instead Microscopic colitis.  I am 28 year old male 6'2 160lbs and until a few years ago, very active. Several doctors think I am a nut case because of so many weird pains and bowel troubles, but I am told by most that know me that I am nothing but positive and in good spirits. The docs gave me anti depressants, which made me depressed, and I have tried about every other drug known to man. Nothing seems to help. When the pain gets too severe I have to take several pain killers for any releif whatsoever.  The best releif is not eating at all for a few days. The doctors always want to preform tests on an empty system, yet the times when it is so bothersome are when there is food in it. Any suggestions??  I am not trying to be a complainer, only searching for answers. My gluten blood test was positive, yet a small bowel biopsy was negative. Nothing is conclusive and I feel like a freak.  Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks  ***@****    
To Heyheypaula:  I agree.  I get hungry but dread eating because it compounds the pressure on my already extended stomach.  Why can't doctors find a solution???  I am so tired of them telling me to "be patient" because I'm still healing from standard gall bladder removal 4/98.  I look 8 months pregnant all the time.  It has changed my life drastically.  I avoid going places because I'm ashamed of how I look.  any help out there???
I have not yet been diagnosed with Gas/Bloat Syndrome or Gastroparesis, but I do have extended stomach,difficulty breathing,lower backache and gas.When my stomach gets very extended it can last a week and even a laxative doesn't help (unless I take more then one dose).Most times I just wait it out but after a week of not being able to bend or move easily I need some help. My doctor has me on Prilosec, once a day. Any food tips would be appreciated as would any general information.
I am having lower abdomen bloating.  I take 20 mg of Lipitor a day and am wondering if this could be causing the problem.  Each time I eat I fill up quickly.  I also occasionally feel nausas.
Their is a disease called Celiac Disease.  It is the inability to digest gluten.  What is gluten?  It is a product of most grains.
I have this disease and was dx'd 20+ years ago...after going thru years of the symptoms described by many of you.  The bland diet of fiber and grains made me sicker and sicker.  Another symptom of this disease besides nausea and loose bowels, is iron poor anemia.  You must also avoid alot of fat in your diet.  It is a disease that Dr's seem to think is rare, but I can tell you that I know many, many people on the net who have this and it took years to get a dx because most Dr.'s never even think of it.  With all the additives in our foods, it is difficult to avoid gluten.  AND....of course bread is the #1 culprit.  On this diet for life....you cannot eat bread, cake, etc. that is made from regular flour.  You can eat rice and rice flour.  This is just a thought for some of you to consider.  Now, finally, there is a blood test for antibodies for this ailment.  It is sometimes not accurate.  You have to have a small intestine biopsy to confirm if your villi are damaged from ingesting gluten.  It is not painful, just uncomfortable. If you continue to ingest gluten and have this...it can cause serious damage.  Just a thought to consider if nothing else seems to help.
I also have excessive gas and bloating. I also have thyroid problems. Could it be that my thyroid levels are affecting my body s ability to produce digestive enzymes?
I FEEL MUCH BETTER ABOUT MY SWOLLEN BELLY AFTER READING ABOUT EVERYONE ELSE'S PROBLEMS. WHEN I FIRST GET UP IN THE MORNING, BELLY IS WASHBOARD FLAT,BUT AS DAY PROGRESSES SO DOES STOMACH.  MY NINE MONTH PREGNANT LOOK, GETS WORSE IF I DO NOT EAT RATHER THAN AFTER EATING. LITTLE OR NO PAIN, MOSTLY DISCOMFORT.      TRIED DOCTORS AND SPECIALISTS,HAD ENDOSCOPY, COULD FIND NOTHING WRONG. FRIEND SUGGESTED PEPTO BECAUSE OF SOME BUG THE BISMUTH WOULD KILL, STOMACH STOPPED SWELLING FOR 3 WEEKS, NOW IT IS BACK.
I am 31 and have had gastro problems for the past four years.  My GI said I have a "tortuous, redundant colon".  In other words, it's twisted.  I have tried the high fiber diet, Citrucel, and Lacturose syrup.  Nothing has worked too well.  It's frustrating because the doctors I've seen want me to just eat fiber and exercise more.  I consider this a serious problem like all of you with gastric pain.  I'm thinking of going under the knife as a last resort.  I was wondering if anyone out there has had colon surgery and could tell me the pros and cons.
I am 24 yrs old, four years ago I found that I had crippling gas in the evenings- every night. After seeing a few doctors and trying a few diagnoses, tests and medications, I found some literature on lactose intolerance and immediately stopped eating/drinking anything that could contain lactose. My symptoms disappeared for the first time in two months.

They reappeared about three months later, only this time, I was suffering from severe bloating (I looked pregnant and couldn't breathe) and abdominal cramps, within 30 minutes of eating. I saw my GP, a gastroenterologist, and an allergist. One did a barium swallow, another an endoscopy. No definitive results, some minor abnormalities.

I did my own research (was in college at the time, am now a doctoral student) and since my symptoms suggested my troubles were food related I did an allergy elimination diet. I figured out that wheat, oats, barley, and dairy caused these problems. I started avoiding them and my symptoms disappeared COMPLETELY. I have since checked with an allergist and GP who agree with my self-diagnosis of lactose intolerance and wheat/oat/barley intolerance.

In the last four years, I have found that whenever I reintroduce ANY of these foods, my problems reappear. I have in fact unknowingly eaten things containing these problem foods, turned into the State Puff Marshmallow woman, and then found out later that there was something in my food. This settled my concern that my symptoms were "all in my head", or psychosomatic. As long as I avoid these things I am 100% free of problems.

Unfortunately, it's depressing knowing that I can't have real pizza, cake, or even Twizzlers, without getting sick. And, I'm tired of explaining why I ordered my hamburger with no bun. I just try to remember that it's a minor detail in my existence, and I, not it, has control over my life.

If any of this sounds familiar, you might want to try an elimination diet and see if your problems are food-related. Otherwise, keep trying to find the doctor who can help.
Thanks for writing this.

I also have a similar problem, and I have given up on doctors.

I found that eating rice/bread etc (anything starchy) causes lots of gas for me.  I still suffer mildly with the problem, and even if i eat a small piece of bread or something, i SUFFER for a whole day.

I also use peppermint pills and simethicone.

My problem is not totally gone, but it's a lot better than it used to be.

Joanne
Well, I am depressed because everyone seems to have the same symptoms with little variations and no one really has answers.

I have the same symtoms (symptoms), gas, bloating, much pain after eating, what I think, grains.  Although I do get problems with other products too but cannot connect them.  The pain from one small muffin can last up to a week.  It is remarkable to see the difference in my body within 8 hrs after consumption.  My legs swell, I can feel the skin getiing tighter and tighter.  I get crabby since This is unfair!!!  It is really depressing.  I vasilate between thinking I am allergic to grains (just wheat? not sure) to maybe gallbladder (I did have gall stones 7 yrs ago and havent been checked again) or intestine problems.  I cant lose weight unless I stay on Atkins inductions diet (little choice, protein and cheese)

I am going on 9 yrs of this.  It seems that I am always sick and others can eat anything they want and I am stuck on the Atkins diet for 2 yrs now.  I had a horrible yeast problem (non-vaginal) that seems under control now.

Hey, thanks for letting me vent...
Debbie
For several years now, I've been experiencing a very bloated stomach as soon as I start eating. I've had an MRI and upper GI series, both negative. I don't have any other GI symptoms, only the extreme bloating and gurgling noises in my stomach. This happens with all foods. I do have chronic lower back ache and have some undiagnosed gynocological problems. Whether they're associated or not, I'm not sure.

My weight has been normal and constant for 20 years. (I am 42.) Recently, however, the bloating has gotten worse and I have been gaining weight, although I'm eating less and have not made any changes in my exercise routine. I've tried lactose-free diets, charcoal, laxatives.

I'm bloated when I wake up and get even more so by dinner.

Should I go for the gastric emptying test? Any other thoughts??

Thank you, for responding, in advance!!

Jackie
I HAVE A DAUGHTER THAT IS GOING TO BE 3 SHE ALWAYS COMPLAINS OF LEG PAIN AND STOMACH PAIN AND WAKES AT NIGHT SCREAMING AND HOLLERING..DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THAT COULD MEAN FOR A CHILD HER AGE
I have been diagnosed with colonic inertia and GERD.  I too get really swollen, even when I have bowel movements.  I have trouble breathing, my back hurts and I feel miserable most of the time.  I am on prilosec.  My stomach swells by the time I eat supper and there is almost no position I can get in to get comfortable.  I too feel like I have no life.  I have tried every laxative I can think of and Miralax and Lactulose, which causes me to swell also.  I have tried stool softeners, Milk of Magnesia, fiber supplements, Citrucel, everything.  I too feel very hopeless.  I have also tried flax seeds.  If you know of anything to help with the swelling and constipation, please let me know.  I am scared to eat but eat any way because I am hungry.  I have also gained weight.  I am trying to lose weight but feel very discouraged because of the bloating and I feel very heavy when trying to exercise which makes it difficult.
I also have a bloated stomach and feel uncomferable. I dont why I get it , is it because I eat certain food etc? But I am getting depressed over it. I comes and goes, I felt good this morning and now I am bloated again. I am seeing the doctor at the moment and have done a ultrasound,blood test, urine test, but nothing. I am on Zantac, and have seen 3 Doctors trying to get a answer. One Doctor said I have a Kindney infection! What has the kindney got to do with a bloated stomach? Any advice? Many Thanks...and hope you all get better
Have anybody received any help for this gas bloat syndrome.  I take 17 ml. of miralax every night and milk of magnesia.  I am also always swollen.  Sometimes I have trouble breathing and my back hurts.  I try not to eat a lot because it gets worse.  I am hungry all the time.  I am getting very depressed.  I have had a hysterectomy and ever since then I have had trouble with constipation.  I have been diagnosed with colonic inertia and acid reflux.  I have tried everything.  The only thing that helps to unswell me is if I take magnesium citrate and really get cleaned out.  If anybody can read this, please offer suggestions.
This is amazing, I have been 9 months pregnant in appearance for almost 3 weeks solid. In the hospital emergency room 3x in the past year, Tests have so far not found any physical reason for this. The first time for fear that I might literally explode. Yesterday I woke up with severe diarreah (diarrhea) and then my stomache was flat and normal, at diner I ate a cheese and tomatoe sandwich and within 5 minutes I blew up to gross size again. I am still huge doctors are stumped after reading all this I feel relieved to know I am not alone but discouraged to see all the dead ends of others I have just booked an appointment with a naturopath I go in an hour. It appears that traditional medicine is not working for most of you, the bread and dairy connection is interesting and might be worth a try. I will start eliminating and keep everyone posted about what the alternative dr. has to say. Has anyone here tried alternative drs. or food elimination? If so any positive results?

Thank you Cindy
I only had time to read the first few comments (I am a single mother of a very active 4 yr. old girl), but I have had bloating problems, as well; I protrude at least 6-7 inches; much further out than my breasts . . . I look almost alien-like.  This happens every time I eat anything.  Anyway, I was just wondering if any of you have been checked for Celiac Disease.  It normally goes 7-9 years undiagnosed and is a very common illness, even though doctors normally overlook it.  Hopefully this will help some one.  It's NOT FUN to be sick!
A related discussion, Gas/Bloat/Stomach Distended was started.
A related discussion, Severe bloating ,breathing restricted was started.
A related discussion, Nissen, bloating and reflux too was started.
A related discussion, why's my stomach hurt was started.