Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Gas,bloating and breathing

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Gas,bloating and breathing

I have this problem that seems to be getting worse and I thought I would ask you this question???I have to watch what I eat and lately that problem seems to have gotten worse and I wonder If you can give me some sound advise, when I eat ussually a half hour or two I feel a lot of pressure under my front rib cage that include hard to breath and a pressure from just under my rib cage to my belly button and if I push with my fingers on my left side just below my rib cage it sore not painful but sore I think the main concern right now is the breathing problem that is associated with the bloating and the belching my doctor has given me losex to help but to this point the releaf is minimun and I would like to hear what you would recommend at this point I have had a specialist put a tub down my throat some two years ago saying there was nothing to worry about he also took bi- opts which were negetive Oh! they have not determind what I have they think it may be reflux desease also my stomache is gurggling almost contantly Thank you Walter
Your symptoms sound very similiar to mine. I have posted down a ways from your post ("Can h. pylori cause asthma like symptoms?"). I have the bloated stomach(top portion) right after eating, Asthma-like symptoms (shortness of breath and extremely tight chest), and lots of gas. I also have other problems as well such as a mild prickly burning sensation across my chest and nausea. Periodically I will experience an extremely painful burning sensation behind my sternum which will incapacitate me for 10-15 minutes. However, my main concern is the Asthma-like symptoms and stomach nausea/bloating. I am currently awaiting blood test results. The doctor is checking for H. Pylori.
I have similar problems, gas, bloating and pain under my sternum not in my chest though, but very tender all the way from my belly button upwards.  I have had all the tests, endoscopy, barium meal, ultrasound and now going to have a colonoscopy but I am also reading alot of books and have come to the conclusion I probably have irritable bowel syndrome even though I don't really have a diorrhea or constipation problem that bothers me.  I find my pain is worse when I am feeling stressed, not so much when I eat.   I sometimes feel like I need to take a really deep breath.   All tablets I took are useless including Losec, merbentyl etc.  I have started going for a walk every day, eating yoghurt, deep breathing by pushing my stomach out rather than shallow breathing into my chest.  I am also about to try Aloe Vera inner leaf gel juice which is meant to be helpful for digestive problems.    Usually if the doctor cannot find anything they will diagnose IBS.  Try reading some books and see if that helps.  I find important also is to have regular bowel movements, i.e. once a day if possible.
Well it looks like it's back to the drawing board for me. The blood test came back negative for H. Pylori. I would have bet my life on it because I am experiencing many of the symptoms brought on by H. Pylori. My Gastroenterologist is now referring me to another specialist. Has anyone ever experienced extreme asthma symptoms brought on due to gastric acid, even though the source of the gastric problem could not be identified through Endoscopy and blood tests??
May be this will help.I have had left side, midab after eating and alot of chest discomfort up to my throat. I had every ultrasound done, all normal. Chest Xray normal.  My GI checked my gall bladder with a liver function test. I have a disfunctional gall bladder which he says is the problem for the chest pain and everything else. My brother died of pancreatic cancer at 42 and I am having a CT scan tomorrow before I have my gall bladder removed just to be sure. I have these symptoms almost daily and I can't control it through diet because everything bothers me. Even water. I have lost 15 pounds, look good right now, but don't want to lose anymore.  I'm not heavy, but I'm Italian and like to cook and eat.  It amazes me how your body works and symptoms vary from one to another. If you are that uncomfortable, pursue it to the fullest. That's what we pay our doctors and insurance for. I get frustrated when I look at my check book over the past 3 months, but it's worth it if I can feel better. Talk to your doc about the HIDA test, ultrasounds only show stones, etc. Good luck to all.  I'm getting my gall bladder removed June 21 if the CT is O.K.
I wish I had an answer for all of you but I am in the same boat with the same symtoms (symptoms). Bloating pain under left rib cage sometimes it causes pain in the left side of my chest also.
I was also nauseous for a week and did lose some weight due to not eating (no appetite). also have trouble breathing when I have an attack of pain. but do any of you find it worse laying down at night or trying to lay on your left side?
I did have some bloodwork done also a upper scope also a hida scan all negitive next a ct scan. the only thing found was high gliadin levels in bloodwork for celiac disease. maybe I will try a gluten free diet, does anybody have any advise?

John
Sounds like a few people have the problem I have - bloating, especially after the evening meal.  It is definitely worse when I lie down, to the extent that I sometimes have to try and go to sleep half-sitting with 2 or 3 pillows for a couple of hours after going to bed, even if it is several hours after i've eaten.  If I lie down it feels like I cannot breathe, particularly on my side.  If I press on my upper stomach it sometimes eases it, and I can often feel "wind" gurgling around in the upper stomach area.  Funny thing is I don't get any pain, and it doesn't seem to be related to the size of the meal I've had.  Interested to hear why people think this is happening.
I have had problems with bloating for the past several years. It has been difficult to lose weight for any length of time. Going on a vacation and overeating and drinking leaves me coming home with extra unwanted pounds. My condition has slowed or stopped completely off and on over the past few years, but recently...I quit smoking and starting taking enzymes to cleanse my system of many of the impuritiies that come with years of smoking. About a month ago I noticed I was really bloating again and my jeans kept getting tighter and tighter. I hadn't changed my diet one iota. Two days before my birthday which was August 10th I started vomitting and discovered I had pancreaitis, a condition that evolves from having a gall stone travel down the intestinal track. The pain come from the stone getting lodged in the duct and can be fatal. After a couple of days of antibiotics they did laproscopic procedure which removed my gall bladder and all the little stones within. I had known for years that I had several small gall stones but really thought if I watched my fat intake and diet that I would never have to deal with it on  that level. I guess I was wrong. I have since learned that having gall stones in your body can make you irritable, angry and depressed. We don't really need our gall bladders and often times age and wear and tear on our intestines may leave us in better health if we have it removed.
If you're bloating...and have excess gas at least have the gall stones checked out first. And then don't fool around with it. It will catch up with you...sometimes even on your Birthday...of all things!
A related discussion, Acid Reflux ,, yeah right!!! was started.
A related discussion, Gut breathing problems was started.
A related discussion, Gas and side pains was started.